• Roderick's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
26 Sep 2014 09:48 #1 by Roderick
Roderick created the topic: French Re-enactors Site
Interesting site that was passed to me, these blokes seem to be dedicated:
regimentsdupasse.net/Bienvenue.html

This was taken by a friend in the market place of Blaye in France last week.
farm4.staticflickr.com/3926/15308608705_fc1c4daf5d_b.jpg

Self defence is a personal responsibility
The following user(s) said Thank You: fishphillott

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• fishphillott
  • Away
More
26 Sep 2014 10:01 #2 by fishphillott
fishphillott replied the topic: French Re-enactors Site
The French always have been ......a bit .....strange :unsure:

Sent via smoke signals and carrier pigeons pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

• Roderick
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
26 Sep 2014 12:10 #3 by Roderick
Roderick replied the topic: French Re-enactors Site

More
26 Sep 2014 17:48 #4 by The Warrigal
The Warrigal replied the topic: French Re-enactors Site
I enjoy dedicated military re-enactments of all types.

I also think that history enthusiasts of this type do much to help us and nothing whatsoever to harm us.

More power to them, I say!

More
26 Sep 2014 20:00 #5 by Ports
Ports replied the topic: French Re-enactors Site
I've got a white flag i can lend anyone who is interested in attending?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 17fireball, several

More
26 Sep 2014 20:14 #6 by several
several replied the topic: French Re-enactors Site

Ports wrote: I've got a white flag i can lend anyone who is interested in attending?

You mean french fighting stick.

Not suitable for mature audiences

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• NewsteadVic
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Sep 2014 06:49 #7 by NewsteadVic
NewsteadVic replied the topic: French Re-enactors Site
What is going on here - some snowdropping re-enactor action?

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

regimentsdupasse.net/Bienvenue.html

• Roderick
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
27 Sep 2014 07:41 #8 by Roderick
Ah! Some humour at the expense of the ordinary French soldier.

Next time you want something to laugh at consider that 200,000 French soldiers died in WW II which was 1.35% of the population,
damn the politicians all you want but the French soldier was as brave as anyone else.

There are undoubtedly re-enactors who concentrate on these forces

From the end of 1942, the Army of Africa was headed by French general Henri Giraud and fought in the Tunisia Campaign before its merger with General Charles de Gaulle's Free French Forces. North African units subsequently played a major role in the liberation of Corsica (September - October 1943) and the Italian Campaign (1943–44) in the French Expeditionary Corps. During the French and German campaigns of 1944-45 the Army of Africa was expanded to 260,000 men (including 50% Maghrebis),[6] including the 1st Motorised Infantry Division (Zouaves and Foreign Legion), the 1st Armoured Division (Chasseurs d' Afrique and Foreign Legion), the 2nd and 4th Moroccan Infantry Divisions (Moroccan Tirailleurs), and the 3rd Algerian Infantry Division (Algerian and Tunisian Tirailleurs). In addition three groupements de tabors of Goumiers served as independent units while artillery, engineer, commando, reconnaissance (mechanised Spahis) and tank destroyer units were drawn from the French and indigenous populations of French North African.[7]

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_Africa_(France)#World_War_II
These men fought knowing fullwell what to expect if they were captured by the Germans.

More
27 Sep 2014 20:55 - 27 Sep 2014 20:57 #9 by 22F
22F replied the topic: French Re-enactors Site
Indeed Roderick.

As a young bloke, I believed a lot of the old stories about the Frogs.
Having heard a lot of Regimental stories about the French, it corrected my view the whole concept of the French military being cowards. They fought themselves to a standstill despite the lack of adult supervision at General officer level.
During the 50's and 60's, the Frogs were the amongst the best at Division and below.
In Afghanistan, and Africa in the last decade of operations, those blokes have proven themselves.

I read the book: "The Last Valley" by Prof Martin Windrow.
It's a bl00dy good book.
Covers the defeat of the French in Viet Nam, especially the siege of Dien Bien Phu.
This book REALLY opened my eyes!

The Frogs fought hard - bl00dy hard. Without a lot of support from their political masters, or the population at home.
Do you blokes realise that the Frogs were air dropping reinforcements into middle of the siege of Dien Bien Phu, not an unusual thing, right?
What I didn't realise was that those blokes being dropped in had barely "completed" jump training. As in, their first parachute jump was a combat drop, full kit, AT NIGHT!
My Yank mates have an expression: harder than woodpecker lips which was the first thing to pop into my head.

The Frogs fought hard, and they fought smart. But ultimately they were beaten by an opponent who had what they lacked: political will to win.
What was really a major theme for me, as a former serving soldier was the difference in training systems.
Look at how us western democracies conduct warfare.

The Viet Minh fought hard and well, shit, they won.
But they didn't have an easy time of it, simply due to that essential glue that holds so many western militaries together: long service, professional NCO's and officers.

Whilst I would never denigrate the efforts of the Viet Minh, it's pretty obvious to me reading this account that they were facing professionals. There were blokes among the French forces who were on their second or third campaign, not just tour in theatre, but theatre of operations.

Looking at some of the experiences of those long service professionals, there was an amazing amount of experience from other colonial theatres, the Second World War (on both sides) and within the theatre.

Because of the western training systems, the French junior leaders (Battalion and below) were able to hold off against far larger numbers of better supported Viet Minh forces, by simple dint of seizing the initiative, improvising, adapting and overcoming, and aggressive application of drills whenever in contact.
There's some classic examples of French platoons and companies holding off larger units of Viet Minh who are able to bring a lot more logistics and fire support to bear. Even some examples of small French units doing what was not expected of them, and managing to reseize the initiative for short periods (until the Viet Minh chain of command woke up to what was going on).

Part of that tenacious attitude of the French junior leadership stemmed from long service NCO's who had seen some of the bitterest fighting in previous campaigns. There was one Foreign Legionaire (a German who had served in the Grossdeutschland Division) who had seen battle against the Commonwealth, Western Europeans, the Yanks and the Russians. It's hard to put a shake'n'bake guerilla NCO with only basic training from Chinese advisors up against the experience and professionalism of such individuals.

We had a similar experience on the Korean Peninsula during the 50's. The experience that the newly formed RAR was able to call on at the time, was somewhat instrumental in their survival and flourishing against more numerous Communist forces. This was really apparent when you look at situations like 3RAR at Kapyong. They conducted a fighting withdrawal, at night, against superior numbers. The fact that most of the boys were prior-AIF with experience from the Pacific or the Desert helped a great deal with unit cohesion and competency levels. Reality was, most of them were only five years older, had an opportunity to internalise and learn from their previous wartime experience and were still spoiling for a fight ;)

Forward!
Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.
Last Edit: 27 Sep 2014 20:57 by 22F.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Roderick, BrianLara400*, The Warrigal

• Roderick
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
More
27 Sep 2014 21:46 - 27 Sep 2014 21:51 #10 by Roderick
Great post, you'd have enjoyed a natter with one of my distant relatives, the late Nancy Wake, who saw the bravery of many French men and women at first hand.
Nancy, gentle little lady that she was, had the distinction, among many others, of having killed more men than any other woman in Australian or New Zealand history, and all legal!

Thank's for those kind words about 3RAR, I served in 3 Bn in Korea after the Truce and was only ever shot at illegally :(

Last Edit: 27 Sep 2014 21:51 by Roderick.

More
27 Sep 2014 21:47 - 27 Sep 2014 21:50 #11 by 2aanda303
2aanda303 replied the topic: French Re-enactors Site
And I believe the French were the only army to achieve their objectives in the second battle of the Somme ! Even with crap weapons like the Lebel , Berthier & Chauchat
Last Edit: 27 Sep 2014 21:50 by 2aanda303. Reason: Info

More
27 Sep 2014 22:49 - 27 Sep 2014 22:59 #12 by BrianLara400*
BrianLara400* replied the topic: French Re-enactors Site
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
very well said 22F

I've read similar accounts of Dien Bien Phu in Bernard B. Fall's - "HELL IN A VERY SMALL PLACE" (also a very good read).
The utter tenacity and grit (for want of more fitting words) show by elements of the Para's (both continental European and indigenous) and Legionares etc was to put it mildly **#*$*^* unreal:
- completely encircled for 56 days by an exponentially larger force (often attacking in human waves) who were continually replenished by the endless viet-minh supply chain
- under continual "pizling" by massive (soviet and red chinese supplied) artillery concealed right around the encircling peaks (often on the reverse faces - where reactionary probes could do little about it)
- fighting from fatally flawed positions, for which there wasn't enough building matriel available in the entire Indochinese theatre to successfully fortify a garrison of that scale. Flooding occurred in many of the lower lying strongpoints, the garrison itself straddled a river.
- severely diminishing aerial reinforcement and resupply to the point where it had to cease altogether due to the intense ring of flak over the Valley and non-existent real estate onto which to drop.

The French heirachy's choice of that valley location in which to stage a "tethered goat" was diabolically flawed in planning and intelligence to be sure, but the end result wasn't for lack of backbone by those forces encircled there. Whilst I'm sure many of these post's have been in jest, After reading those recounts of heroism and sacrifice I won't Idly let anyone, dimiss the notion of French courage.
In reality the French Union was doing some of the "free worlds" heavy lifting, The U.S. and Britain tacitly also had dogs in the fight to the point were "nuclear intervention" was seriously considered to relieve the garrison, preventing the defeat of a western world power at the hands of communists.... but alas that never happened and it fell,
Do yourselves a favour and dig a little deeper, rather than spouting out that the same tired throw away line.
Last Edit: 27 Sep 2014 22:59 by BrianLara400*.

Moderators: fishphillott
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login