• risbo
  • risbo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jul 2014 18:30 - 19 Jul 2014 18:34 #1 by risbo
risbo created the topic: MDT LSS For TIkka T3
mdttac.ca/lss-chassis-for-tikka-t3.html

Ok,

For the better part I have committed to the MDT LSS and just waiting to hear back on a few things if it supports the Heavy Barrel and if the .300 WM AI magazines would feed my 6.5x55 rounds through nicely. If anyone has gone this stock id appreciate some insight.

Just after some advice with selecting the 'AR 15' attachments while keeping in mind LOP and if it's going to be too "Military Looking" and ive noticed that magpul have commercial models and mil spec models.

Basically this will be the first 'mod' type thing I've done and i'm only doing it to be different to my mates and it gives me something to show off also.

If anyone has done this im interesting to see what the outcome was with the balance of the rifle if it became too front or rear heavy compared to the standard stock.

Further, Whats the story with importing the parts? Do it by your self with a b709 i think it is, or through a dealer? or both?

Appreciate any information gents.

Cheers
Last Edit: 19 Jul 2014 18:34 by risbo.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2014 17:58 - 20 Jul 2014 17:59 #2 by Baronvonrort
Baronvonrort replied the topic: MDT LSS For TIkka T3

risbo wrote: mdttac.ca/lss-chassis-for-tikka-t3.html

Ok,

For the better part I have committed to the MDT LSS and just waiting to hear back on a few things i

Just after some advice with selecting the 'AR 15' attachments while keeping in mind LOP and if it's going to be too "Military Looking" and ive noticed that magpul have commercial models and mil spec models.

Cheers

I like the MDT LSS, it is what i call a modern stock, some prefer old fashioned stuff.

With the commercial and mil spec magpul models is that for the buffer tube and attatchments?

The buffer tube is a different size (diameter) for commercial and mil spec,both should fit,i would get the mil spec.

As for balance how long and heavy is your barrel?

Stocks are ok to import in my part of Oz.
Last Edit: 20 Jul 2014 17:59 by Baronvonrort.

• risbo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Jul 2014 19:15 - 20 Jul 2014 19:24 #3 by risbo
risbo replied the topic: MDT LSS For TIkka T3

Baronvonrort wrote: I like the MDT LSS, it is what i call a modern stock, some prefer old fashioned stuff.

Indeed, I like the fact that its really modernized and thatch is what i'm going for.

With the commercial and mil spec magpul models is that for the buffer tube and attatchments?
The buffer tube is a different size (diameter) for commercial and mil spec,both should fit,i would get the mil spec.

Correct, I'm aiming for a LOP a tad over 13" so having a nice collapsible stock will be nice. I'm trying to find something with a nice cheek piece on it though. However being a complete noob I'm having issues finding something that I like.

On the topic of attachments I might investigate the potential of putting a fore grip on he front of the stock before the bi pod and just drill and tapping it in place, Just thinking out loud here though.

As for balance how long and heavy is your barrel?

T3 Varmint SS, According to the data sheet it should be 23 3/4" in length and as for weight i'm going to guestimate it being roughly 2.8kg's? (Overall weight is listed as 3.6kg's with stock fitted) Id consider shortening the barrel to make it a bit more practical, I'm open to ideas. I'm not sure if thats practical or not but i'm open to it.

The rifle is just a field rifle so i'm not interested in shooting MOA Groups, I'm more interested in doing something different rather than having just another Tikka T3 SS Varmint.
Last Edit: 20 Jul 2014 19:24 by risbo.

More
20 Jul 2014 19:41 #4 by S12A
S12A replied the topic: MDT LSS For TIkka T3
Magpul MOE:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Magpul MOE SL

Magpul CTR

Magpul STR

Magpul ACS L

Magpul ACS:

Magpul UBR:

Magpul MOE fixed

Magpul PRS

The following user(s) said Thank You: risbo, SmoothOperator_87

More
20 Jul 2014 19:47 - 20 Jul 2014 19:49 #5 by S12A
S12A replied the topic: MDT LSS For TIkka T3
Troy lightweight battleaxe

Larue RAT

LMT Sopmod

EFX a1

ACE Stocks:

Just some to think about!
Last Edit: 20 Jul 2014 19:49 by S12A.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xbrute, risbo

More
20 Jul 2014 20:20 #6 by Baronvonrort
You will not need a recoil spring that is a semi auto thing.

short picatinny rails fit under the front for bipod and vertical grip and perhaps laser pointer Ir illuminator etc, that is probably a better way to go.

I tried a Mako recoil reducing stock,has adjustable cheek piece and storage compartment in butt,i thought it looked good and worked ok, too lazy to provide link..

It is an easy stock to fit,videos on how to at youtube.
The following user(s) said Thank You: luckyphil

More
20 Jul 2014 20:49 #7 by 308mate2
308mate2 replied the topic: MDT LSS For TIkka T3
If you are in NSW you cannot have an adjustable stock. From what i understand having researched this myself you have to have a certain stock length that is fixed i.e pinned into place. Hopefully to both our delight someone will clarify this.

NSW
Folding stocks= No
Collapsible Stocks= Pinned only
Pistol grip= Yes
Minimum OAL= 800mm

129 Shortened firearms
(cf 1997 cl 104)

(1) For the purposes of section 62 (2) of the Act, a firearm is to be considered as having been shortened only if:
(a) in the case of a firearm that is a smooth bore shotgun or a combination smooth bore shotgun and rifle:
(i) the length of the barrel, or, if it has more than one barrel, of the longer or longest barrel is less than 45 cm, or
(ii) the length of the stock is less than 30 cm or it has no stock, and
(b) in the case of a firearm that is a rifle, not being a combination smooth bore shotgun and rifle or an air gun:
(i) the length of the barrel or, if it has more than one barrel, of the longer or longest barrel is less than 40 cm, or
(ii) the length of the stock is less than 30 cm or it has no stock, or
(iii) the overall length is less than 80 cm, and

(c) in the case of a firearm that is an air gun:
(i) the length of the barrel is less than 30 cm, or
(ii) the length of the stock is less than 30 cm or it has no stock, or
(iii) the overall length is less than 70 cm.
(2) For the purposes of this clause, the length of the stock of a firearm, if the firearm has one trigger, is to be measured from the front of the trigger or, if the firearm has more than one trigger, from the front of the rearmost trigger to the centre of the rear of the butt plate or stock.

www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/fr2006193/s129.html

www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/inforcepdf/20...c7-8466-f45fe3e9e311

The first link is proof.

Second is for NSW shooters who want to brush up on anything. Whip a copy on your phone if possible that way your set for the coppers.

I am still wondering about stocks for a 7615.

My advice for you would be to go on the magpul website, find the maximum and minimum LOP adjustment for a chosen stock. a milspec buffer tube. Your goal is to add all the lengths together Stock, buffer tube, distance between blade of trigger and end of receiver and if you have enough length you will pin in there permanently/

I imagine you will need for example

Magpul CTR stock milspec

ATI buffer tube or any tube milspec

ATI Castle Nut or any castle nut

MDT Chassis

If you measure the distance in mm from your trigger of your rifle to the end of the receiver i could recommend one that will work and keep the cops all simmered down. Good luck champ, i am waiting on the MDT chassis for the Howa which i have heard will be coming eventually.

Cheers :cheer:

The following user(s) said Thank You: risbo

More
20 Jul 2014 21:36 #8 by Jasta
Jasta replied the topic: MDT LSS For TIkka T3
I have the LSS on my Remington with Magpul PTS CTR Stock. The forend is big enough to take Bull barrels so you will have clearance. You can get buffer tubes from ebay with lock ring or from a QLD gun shop as well as Magpul buts. There is no difference in the threads between mil spec and commercial and either will fit the LSS. All Magpul is Mil spec. Keeping in mind that you are in NSW you have to drill and pin the but so it cannot be "Readley Collapsible" . After that you are off and shooting but consider the info listed by 308mate2..

Hope this helps

I've torn out my alarm & de-registered from the Neighbourhood Watch. I've got two Pakistani flags raised in my front garden, one at each corner and the black flag of ISIS in the centre.
The police, ASIO, ASIS and the other intelligence services are all watching my house 24/7.
I've never felt safer

• risbo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Jul 2014 22:53 - 21 Jul 2014 00:03 #9 by risbo
Thanks for the information Jasta, 308mate2, Baronvonrort & S12A. Appreciate the insight and knowledge greatly.

For argument sake if i pin the Magpul CTR stock (with cheek riser) to have a LOP of 13" that by rights should keep me safe within the law (Which obviously I want to be). Pistol grip is whatever. I've found that people have been bending the feeding lips of the 300WM AICS magazines so that seems like the only option (disaster incoming im sure). I'll keep with my Harris Bipod and Leupold Scope and this should turn out into a nice little build with some pretty cerakoting for shits n kicks later on.

As for shortening barrel I'm gonna scrap that idea as even after some reading it just appears silly with the swede round.
Last Edit: 21 Jul 2014 00:03 by risbo.

More
21 Jul 2014 00:03 #10 by 308mate2
308mate2 replied the topic: MDT LSS For TIkka T3
As far as the stock and it's length goes i think you will be right for the coppers. if you do want a bit more length for personal comfort or just to rub it in that your doing the right thing a MAGPUL MOE/CTR ENHANCED RECOIL PAD will give you additional length for 30 bucks from the shop i pm'd you about. The whole pinned thing with the stocks is moronic, if you are a short guy who needs/prefers a shorter LOP then you just have to make do with the longer LOP. :facepalm:

An obvious video example of pinning the stock. The MOE stock has more wiggle compared to the CTR but for us NSW owners it won't matter as the damn thing will be fixed anyway :(. Let us know how you go, any questions shoot me a pm or add to this topic.

Cheers

• risbo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2014 00:06 - 21 Jul 2014 00:12 #11 by risbo

308mate2 wrote: As far as the stock and it's length goes i think you will be right for the coppers. if you do want a bit more length for personal comfort or just to rub it in that your doing the right thing a MAGPUL MOE/CTR ENHANCED RECOIL PAD will give you additional length for 30 bucks from the shop i pm'd you about. The whole pinned thing with the stocks is moronic, if you are a short guy who needs/prefers a shorter LOP then you just have to make do with the longer LOP. :facepalm:

I was thinking that - Folding stocks i kinda understand (kinda) but collapsible so the user can get the comfortable LOP seems a tad on the redic side. Anyhow, I don't suppose the mods want us to go there with this one.

I imagine an appropriate rivit would suffice also?

I've sent emails off regarding parts so now is the waiting game. Again thanks for the input gents.
Last Edit: 21 Jul 2014 00:12 by risbo.

More
21 Jul 2014 09:17 #12 by Baronvonrort

risbo wrote:
I was thinking that - Folding stocks i kinda understand (kinda) but collapsible so the user can get the comfortable LOP seems a tad on the redic side. Anyhow, I don't suppose the mods want us to go there with this one.

I imagine an appropriate rivit would suffice also?

I've sent emails off regarding parts so now is the waiting game. Again thanks for the input gents.

Argue that it is not collapsible or telescopic with your emails and that it is adjustable for LOP.

The Magpul have 3.25 inches of travel, 3.25x2.54= 8.25cm

Therefore LOP is adjustable for a maximum distance of 8.25cm,8.25cm adjustment is hardly collapsible or telescopic!

I suppose it depends on who you get on the day

More
21 Jul 2014 11:42 #13 by Jasta
Jasta replied the topic: MDT LSS For TIkka T3
Argue that it is not collapsible or telescopic with your emails and that it is adjustable for LOP.
The Magpul have 3.25 inches of travel, 3.25x2.54= 8.25cm
Therefore LOP is adjustable for a maximum distance of 8.25cm,8.25cm adjustment is hardly collapsible or telescopic!
I suppose it depends on who you get on the day

I tried that, didnt work. Not to mention that it took 3 people at the Reg to give me a straight answer as they were unsure..

risbo here is the rail on the forearm.

I've torn out my alarm & de-registered from the Neighbourhood Watch. I've got two Pakistani flags raised in my front garden, one at each corner and the black flag of ISIS in the centre.
The police, ASIO, ASIS and the other intelligence services are all watching my house 24/7.
I've never felt safer

• risbo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Jul 2014 23:59 #14 by risbo
I'm waiting on a response from the NSW FA registry that a MDT LSS is 'OK' for NSW with a pinned stock.

For those that care....
Dear Firearms,

I’m after some information regarding customising / aftermarket parts for a stock replacement of a rifle.
The reason for doing this is I’d like to reduce the weight of the firearm and allow me to be more comfortable with the rifle with higher quality parts and being able to customise it as I see fit for either Target Shooting and/or Hunting/Vermin control.

While I am fully aware that there are rules and regulations I have zero intention of breaking these which is why I am after some clarification before committing to purchasing some parts.

Specifically I am after this stock (MDT LSS); http://mdttac.ca/lss-chassis-for-tikka-t3.html

I am led to believe that the TAC21 chassis offered by the same manufacturer is not allowed due to its design.

I’m going to stay within the 129 Shortened firearms (cf 1997 cl 104) piece of legislation with all other pieces of equipment I choose to install with the firearm.
Also I’ve read that collapsible stocks are not allowed, so I’d be permanently pinning the stock into position keeping within the above piece of legislation if I do choose a collapsible stock.

As always appreciate the help from firearms and looking forward to your reply.
(Firearms Licence ##########)

Regards,

Will advise on the response i get when I get it.

• Blanman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Jul 2014 00:27 #15 by Blanman
Blanman replied the topic: MDT LSS For TIkka T3
Here's a link to the review I did on the stock a while back - Tikka T3 Stock Options: MDT LSS Chassis

Depending on the the weight/length of your barrel, and which buttstock you decide to go with it may be a little front heavy since it's generally fairly light on the back end with most adjustable carbine stocks. I didn't find mine awkward with a 26" Rem Varmint contoured barrel and Magpul CTR buttstock. Hope that helps.

• risbo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Jul 2014 00:32 #16 by risbo
Fingers crossed all goes well with me on the LA. Will do my best to post a review or a report(of how i go with NSW FA atleast) of sorts.

• risbo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Aug 2014 18:51 #17 by risbo
Still waiting on an 'OK' from NSW Firearms on the stock and accessories.

• DeadMeat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Bad Daddy.
More
10 Aug 2014 19:18 - 10 Aug 2014 19:41 #18 by DeadMeat
DeadMeat replied the topic: MDT LSS For TIkka T3
If you haven't yet got the chassis, its rather expensive importing it yourself, as you will pay for the export permits if you buy direct from MDT over in Canada. There is a stockist in Australia, but.....err...... :dry:

Try getting one from Core Tac solutions instead. They also make what is apparently a better fitting and looking Fixed Stock Adapter for fitting regular A2 etc stocks, and they can fit one of their fancy recoil lugs and other bits and pieces for you in one hit.

Tikka Varmint 7mm-08. Core-Tac Solutions supplied brake, bolt shroud, handle and lug.

Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

This message has an attachment image.

Last Edit: 10 Aug 2014 19:41 by DeadMeat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: risbo

• risbo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jan 2015 16:53 #19 by risbo
Right,

So since a certain shop in queensland was practically useless/incompetent/high vague and have finally given me a "No ETA" answer, anyone know of other dealers who are able to provide this system. I've spoken with Gary from Safari Firearms and we came to an agreement that it was not worth while for his sake to try and source the stock due to the horrendous NSW laws.

Thanks.

More
19 Jan 2015 23:25 #20 by 22F
22F replied the topic: MDT LSS For TIkka T3
I'm very interested in whether the long action AICS magazines will work with the 6.5x55mm Swedish round.
Keep us updated mate.

Forward!
Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.

Moderators: adamjp
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login