Wombat Ordnance Tikka T3 Build

• SmoothOperator_87
  • SmoothOperator_87's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
26 Jun 2014 15:47 - 26 Jun 2014 20:49 #1 by SmoothOperator_87
SmoothOperator_87 created the topic: Wombat Ordnance Tikka T3 Build
It was many years ago that I was first introduced to the Tikka T3, the first that I fired was a good friends Tikka T3 270 varmint. From the first two shots I knew these were a nice rifle, with an excellent trigger and action. Anybody in the know knows that the Tikka has some distinct similarities with the Sako TRG and some features that are in fact better, all for a cheaper price.

Fast Forward to last year!!!
Knowing well of the potential of the T3, I purchased a T3 Varmint Stainless in 308win and a handful of us Aussie fellas got to pestering Greg From Wombat Ordnance to build us some hybrid AICS inspired chassis. Greg has a tremendous amount of skill from many years’ experience as a machinist and is an expert on the tools. I have dreamed up an AI style system for the Tikka for a long time and Greg’s talents and service are second to none. We waited patiently as Greg did these for us in his spare time, enjoying every update he gave us on the build. Then it was born!!!

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

The chassis incorporates all the good features of the AICS suitable for other rifles and some neat features like a slightly shorter custom cheek piece that allows easy removal of the bolt, which is handy as we can’t have folders in AUS. The magazine well has a beautiful inlet bevel so that magazine insertion is a trouble free experience and the whole chassis is type 3 hard coat anodized. Greg has made both a picatinny and spigot adaptor for us so that either a Quick release or spigot mount Atlas can be used for example. Bedded down on a Sterk recoil lug and fitted with the Sterk Swept ball and titanium shroud, the package is one that has fantastic ergonomics and balance.

The Cheek Piece, allowing bolt removal

the mag well, well bevelled allowing easy mag insertion

Sterk Swept Ball and Titanium Shroud

The rifle is great for positional shooting and fixes the nose diving problem that a regular t3 varmint has. Coupled with the fact that the only plastic is the Victor Company Skins ( which are fantastic and a credit to Michael Victor) The rifle is now the one that I have the most confidence with on long trips in the wilderness in the elements, everything on it is either cerakoted or anodized with a micro slicked action, making it weather resistant and relatively low maintenance.

So how does it shoot? The standard trigger has been adjusted to 2lb, breaks very nicely with a great feel. I have my stock 223 rem Tikka varmint with a yo dave trigger spring but I believe it is not a necessary addition. Recoil is dramatically reduced being of AICS weight, making spotting shots easier. It feels absolutely fantastic on the Atlas Bipod. The balance for offhand shots is great and having the features that the Viperskins bring is great. It is likely that a torch may find its way on the side of the Skins so that I can do some foxing with the rifle also. I also use a TAB Gear elite Biathlon sling which is fantastic for those 10+ kilometres stalks up and down hills and for positional shooting for competition. The Vortex FFP Mrad PST has served fantastically for the price but will likely get shuffled down to my 223 or sold because I would like to spoil myself with a Vortex Gen 2 4.5-27x56 or Steiner Tx5i 5-25x56, time will tell. It will not be sold because it doesn’t do exactly what it is asked.
In Future I’d like to run it off AW mags, for no other reason than it would make an awesome system just that little bit more special. But there is also an AI on the cards in future.

I am Happy to call Greg my friend and look forward to the future projects he is churning out for us guys. My mate cant wait to get his and he has some long action Tikka builds on the way too on top of hybrids for savage, winchester, howa, rem and more!!

For now ill leave you with the last group fired in the field measuring .442 moa with 155smk at 100yds

The cluster is the group fired, measured with my STS moa ruler

For those of you coming to the Forum shoot at Lower Light, come say hi.

Have a great day

Smooth
Last Edit: 26 Jun 2014 20:49 by SmoothOperator_87.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skip, L1A1, Send-it, Pitty, Mini Hulk, jhonvdp, HERNE, 22F, Matt, Mack260rem, DeadMeat, BJ, luckyphil

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2014 18:27 #2 by sigsako
sigsako replied the topic: Wombat Ordnance Tikka T3 Build
Thanks for the write up Smooth, and your previous info, good stuff.
Good to see some additional pictures of your finished product.
Your happiness for this build is obvious.
As you know I personally followed Greg's chassis build closely and I have kicked off the same project now also.
The blued 308 T3 Varmint is on order.
The PTA should not be to far away.
I've put my order in with Greg, so hopefully I'm part of his next run of chassis builds. FDE in colour.
I've advised John (Sterk) that I'm after a sweep ball and shroud, and will be contacting him again real soon about an order.
Still need to sort out a Cerakote job somewhere between Sydney and Newcastle when I get my hands on the gun (next few weeks) Flat black in colour.
I'll be initially mounting a Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical 6-24 x 50 on this one until more coin becomes available for something much better. Thinking Swarovski Z6 at this stage with BT. But I have time for other options, although having a Z5 already I'm a bit biased.
Still need to source a Mag. Thinking AI 10 round. Any tips on this is welcome.

Seeing the finished product you guys have, using Greg and John's handy work, has me super motivated to get this one completed ASAP.
Can't wait. :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SmoothOperator_87

• SmoothOperator_87
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
26 Jun 2014 19:13 - 26 Jun 2014 19:15 #3 by SmoothOperator_87
SmoothOperator_87 replied the topic: Wombat Ordnance Tikka T3 Build
Great stuff sigsako!

I'm glad I've been able to help you.

Your right in that I'm extremely happy with the build.

A lot of people have helped me on this site an this is my way of giving back to the forum. I really appreciate reading other peoples projects so it's nice to give people a hand that are also passionate.

I also appreciate the fact that reviews like this give comprehensive info to those looking to do similar, but not knowing where to start.

If your prepared to buy a z6, which is optically great, consider a high end vortex, Steiner, Schmidt bender or Kahles etc as they will be more suitable for this type of rifle.

Oh an go genuine aics mags. No stuffing about an function as they should.
Last Edit: 26 Jun 2014 19:15 by SmoothOperator_87.

• Movealongnothingtoseehere
More
26 Jun 2014 19:18 #4 by Movealongnothingtoseehere
Movealongnothingtoseehere replied the topic: Wombat Ordnance Tikka T3 Build
That's a nice writeup Smooth. All Greg's work has been impressive. The first test for my Rem 700, 308, 20 inch, lefty, with Wombat Ord stock was Fclass at 400m. Off a Harris bipod and a couple of socks full of rice the thing shot a 58/60 first time out using 168 Nosler Custom Comps from the (shortened) factory varmint barrel. The stock certainly helps.

One feature you didn't mention that I love with the Viper skins is the little indent for your strong thumb on the side, right near the back of the action. I don't wrap my thumb around the pistol grip when shooting off the bipod and that little cutout shelf is just a perfect ergonomic place for the thumb to rest. (You can see it to the rear of the bolt in your pics).

• SmoothOperator_87
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
26 Jun 2014 19:25 #5 by SmoothOperator_87

Movealongnothingtoseehere wrote: That's a nice writeup Smooth. All Greg's work has been impressive. The first test for my Rem 700, 308, 20 inch, lefty, with Wombat Ord stock was Fclass at 400m. Off a Harris bipod and a couple of socks full of rice the thing shot a 58/60 first time out using 168 Nosler Custom Comps from the (shortened) factory varmint barrel. The stock certainly helps.

One feature you didn't mention that I love with the Viper skins is the little indent for your strong thumb on the side, right near the back of the action. I don't wrap my thumb around the pistol grip when shooting off the bipod and that little cutout shelf is just a perfect ergonomic place for the thumb to rest. (You can see it to the rear of the bolt in your pics).

I didn't mention it, but yes the thumbshelf is great for prone it really is fantastic to have an I personally think it's a great advantage over AI skins

More
26 Jun 2014 20:08 #6 by L1A1
L1A1 replied the topic: Wombat Ordnance Tikka T3 Build
Great write up ..& Greg's chassis look the shit & would like to acquire one for my tikka varmint also.

Btw, what colour did you get the action & barrel cerakoted ?

The duty of a true patriot is to protect its country from its government .Thomas Paine.

• SmoothOperator_87
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
26 Jun 2014 20:26 #7 by SmoothOperator_87

L1A1 wrote: Great write up ..& Greg's chassis look the shit & would like to acquire one for my tikka varmint also.

Btw, what colour did you get the action & barrel cerakoted ?

Hi mate,

Yes it certainly is brilliant get onto Greg he has a batch that will be commenced shortly!!

The colour is patriot brown it needs to be seen In person to be fully appreciated, much like the rifle.

Thanks

• John23
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Jun 2014 20:36 #8 by John23
John23 replied the topic: Wombat Ordnance Tikka T3 Build
Thanks for this thread !
This is the very thing I want to see on forums when I log on.

Also thank you Gregt for making such a product. It is a masterpiece of a stock !

JH ;)

More
26 Jun 2014 20:41 #9 by BJ
BJ replied the topic: Wombat Ordnance Tikka T3 Build
Fantastic work to all great read and finished product alot of thought hard work and time has yeilded a nice bit of kit

Well done
Regards ;)

More
26 Jun 2014 20:55 #10 by HERNE
HERNE replied the topic: Wombat Ordnance Tikka T3 Build
Good stuff.... worth a 'Hoodie'. ;)

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"

• SmoothOperator_87
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
26 Jun 2014 20:58 - 26 Jun 2014 21:05 #11 by SmoothOperator_87

GOD wrote: Good stuff.... worth a 'Hoodie'. ;)

Thanks That will be great!! it'll come in handy when banging steel :)
Last Edit: 26 Jun 2014 21:05 by SmoothOperator_87.

More
26 Jun 2014 21:08 #12 by luckyphil
luckyphil replied the topic: Wombat Ordnance Tikka T3 Build
Good work , what's is the viper skin colour , I have two chassis on order with Greg think I'll go that colour too,what weight did your rIg end up at ?

More
26 Jun 2014 21:09 #13 by Send-it
Send-it replied the topic: Wombat Ordnance Tikka T3 Build
looking forward to seeing it in the flesh in a couple of weeks. B)

• SmoothOperator_87
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
26 Jun 2014 21:19 - 26 Jun 2014 21:21 #14 by SmoothOperator_87
LuckyPhil,

about 7kg loaded with tab sling.

i have yet to weigh it but thats roughly what ive worked it out to be.

Whatever it is its well balanced and handles brilliantly.

Skins are OD Fleck Camo and i was fortunate to get ones with great character
Last Edit: 26 Jun 2014 21:21 by SmoothOperator_87.

• SmoothOperator_87
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
26 Jun 2014 21:20 - 26 Jun 2014 21:21 #15 by SmoothOperator_87

Send-it wrote: looking forward to seeing it in the flesh in a couple of weeks. B)

Should be a good day i'm eager to play ;)
Last Edit: 26 Jun 2014 21:21 by SmoothOperator_87.

More
26 Jun 2014 21:22 #16 by jhonvdp
jhonvdp replied the topic: Wombat Ordnance Tikka T3 Build
Great write up, it's a great base to build upon and it's got improvements over the standard AI chassis and is way nicer than the Roedale chassis. Would really recommend the Wombat Chassis.
Got a Left hand version off Greg and was able to use it with both Viperskins and AI skins (after adding a LH bolt cutout).

The following user(s) said Thank You: Skip, L1A1, SmoothOperator_87, HERNE

More
26 Jun 2014 21:28 #17 by sigsako
sigsako replied the topic: Wombat Ordnance Tikka T3 Build

SmoothOperator_87 wrote: Great stuff sigsako!

A lot of people have helped me on this site an this is my way of giving back to the forum. I really appreciate reading other peoples projects so it's nice to give people a hand that are also passionate.

I also appreciate the fact that reviews like this give comprehensive info to those looking to do similar, but not knowing where to start.

If your prepared to buy a z6, which is optically great, consider a high end vortex, Steiner, Schmidt bender or Kahles etc as they will be more suitable for this type of rifle.

I think those scopes choices may just be a bit out of reach practicality wise unfortunately Do like the look of Kahles 624i however.

More
26 Jun 2014 21:30 #18 by luckyphil
luckyphil replied the topic: Wombat Ordnance Tikka T3 Build
Thanks mate

about 7kg loaded with tab sling.

i have yet to weigh it but thats roughly what ive worked it out to be.

Whatever it is its well balanced and handles brilliantly.

Skins are OD Fleck Camo and i was fortunate to get ones with great character[/quote]

• SmoothOperator_87
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
26 Jun 2014 21:32 - 26 Jun 2014 21:32 #19 by SmoothOperator_87

sigsako wrote:

SmoothOperator_87 wrote: Great stuff sigsako!

I think those scopes choices may just be a bit out of reach practicality wise unfortunately Do like the look of Kahles 624i however.

If your looking at a Non illuminated z6 which is around 2.5k you could buy a razor 5-20 which would be a good combo and within budget, kahles 6-24 would be great
Last Edit: 26 Jun 2014 21:32 by SmoothOperator_87.

• Movealongnothingtoseehere
More
26 Jun 2014 21:43 #20 by Movealongnothingtoseehere
Movealongnothingtoseehere replied the topic: Wombat Ordnance Tikka T3 Build
Most of you guys have seen mine before but for those who haven't I'll tart it around again :P

The bottom pic also shows the polymer magazine blanking plate that Greg also makes (it's the blue bit)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skip, SmoothOperator_87, Mack260rem, muffo

Moderators: adamjp
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login