× Are you build/making rifle stocks/chassis

Browning stock (re)finish

• shootist
  • shootist's Avatar Topic Author
More
30 Apr 2017 21:25 #1 by shootist
shootist created the topic: Browning stock (re)finish
I have a number of Browning firearms in my "toolbox", all of which have quite pretty stock wood that is nicely figured. Some are finished with a very practical satin finish while others have a totally impractical gloss finish that almost looks like a lacquer or polyurethane.

Because I enjoy using these "tools" and don't see them as something to be put away with the greatest of care lest they be marked in some way, I would like to remove the gloss coating and refinish them with a nice satin finish; a little sheen maybe, but definitely not gloss.

Does anybody know what the Browning finish is and if so what can be used to remove it.

I would like to hear from anybody who has actually done it with success, not opinions of what might work.
I'm thinking it needs to be a solvent of some sort because it will be necessary to get the checkering clean as well, without having to resort to re-dressing it.

Thanks in advance for your help

shootist

When governments fear the people, there is Liberty: When people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MrCarbine
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
  • Just honouring a great man!
More
30 Apr 2017 22:31 #2 by MrCarbine
MrCarbine replied the topic: Browning stock (re)finish
Finish removal
Nothing that you might have on hand will touch a synthetic finish. No regular paint stripper, remover or softener will make an impression on it. Sanding it off would be a full-time job lasting weeks. However, for just such a project, Brownells (Dept. RS, 200 South Front St., Montezuma, IA 50171; 641/623-5401; www.brownells.com ) has a synthetic finish stripper that will remove even the most impervious poly-based finishes. Apply it according to the instructions and your life will be much easier.

• shootist
More
01 May 2017 08:35 #3 by shootist
shootist replied the topic: Browning stock (re)finish
Thanks for that info'.
I'll see if Brownells Aus. can get it for me.

shootist

When governments fear the people, there is Liberty: When people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

More
01 May 2017 19:12 - 01 May 2017 19:16 #4 by Aushunter
Aushunter replied the topic: Browning stock (re)finish
Hi shootist, I have refinished a few stocks & what the original finish is does determine what you will use to strip it back.

In the stocks I have re done that have a heavy varnish on them I just used a paint/varnish stripper to get that layer off first then started the sanding process.

Anything from Bunnings will do the job.

If it is so heavily varnished you may need to do this a couple of times.

Some people use a heat gun as well to help soften the lacquer making it easier to remove but I choose not to do that as I have concerns about warping the wood.

Removing an oil finish is another method altogether.
Last Edit: 01 May 2017 19:16 by Aushunter.

More
01 May 2017 21:34 #5 by leverhappy
leverhappy replied the topic: Browning stock (re)finish
I have used Citristrip Gel on two rifle stocks, a Sportco and an Anschutz
Worked well on both , the gel allows it to dwell on the stock while it's hanging.

More
02 May 2017 07:38 #6 by adamjp
adamjp replied the topic: Browning stock (re)finish
For the original finish on a Browning rifle (I've got two of them) the Selleys Polystrippa product works well with two or three coats.

My BLR in 308 came to me painted in a 'camo' finish because the previous owner was unhappy with how the factory finish was marking when chasing pigs. I stripped that finish off, then the finish under it to get back to the bare wood. Always avoid sanding when doing this as the wood is usually fitted to the metalwork and sanding will make it undersize.

I then refinished the wood with Tung oil and Wax to form a hard and very waterproof top layer which is easy to refinish if it takes knock.

My other BLR in 416 Ruger still has the factory finish, but I cannot see that lasting terribly long.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• shootist
More
02 May 2017 14:03 #7 by shootist
shootist replied the topic: Browning stock (re)finish
Thanks for the replies. The Brownells product is not available from their Aus distributor - dangerous good transportation problems'.

It seems like the two other products mentioned will make a trip to "the big green shed" worthwhile. I've got nothing to lose by trying either one. I sure didn't want to have to resort to sanding in any way; maybe a rub with steel-wool to level the pores before/during refinishing.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

shootist

• DeadMeat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Bad Daddy.
More
02 May 2017 18:14 #8 by DeadMeat
DeadMeat replied the topic: Browning stock (re)finish
Im up to the 3rd coat of oil on an old Brno 2 that Im re doing. Some regular thick paint stripper I had didnt do much, so I used some brake fluid. That worked a treat but probably gave me ball cancer. After the stripping and a thorough rinsing I used an old cotton t-shirt soaked in water and a clothes iron to get the last bits of stain and finish out of the wood. It also brought all the dings out and allowed me to sand them too.

Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200.

More
02 May 2017 18:48 #9 by adamjp
adamjp replied the topic: Browning stock (re)finish

shootist wrote: Thanks for the replies. The Brownells product is not available from their Aus distributor - dangerous good transportation problems'.

It seems like the two other products mentioned will make a trip to "the big green shed" worthwhile. I've got nothing to lose by trying either one. I sure didn't want to have to resort to sanding in any way; maybe a rub with steel-wool to level the pores before/during refinishing.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

shootist

To help the stripping product work, once applied, wrap the wet stock in cling wrap. This keeps the strippa it in close contact with the wood, but helps stop it from drying out over time.

Moderators: adamjp
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login