× Are you build/making rifle stocks/chassis

Painting a rifle

• bigchaza
  • bigchaza's Avatar Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2016 13:58 #1 by bigchaza
bigchaza created the topic: Painting a rifle
so I am pretty handy with an airbrush (miniatures mainly) and was keen to paint a few rifles. At first I thought I would just use cerakote but after more reading it became unclear what I should use. I am just wondering what sort of paints I should use for a durable finish I can put over a whole rifle (minus scope turrets, glass, bolt head and barrel obviously). I want to use an airbrush as I am waaaay better on this that I am with a spray can. So what paints should I go with? Any thoughts ideas or tutorials on this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Sporting Firearms
  • Site Sponsor
  • Site Sponsor
  • Git 'r dun!
More
22 Jul 2016 14:07 - 22 Jul 2016 14:08 #2 by Sporting Firearms
Sporting Firearms replied the topic: Painting a rifle
Dura-coat is a product I have seen in a spray can in gun mags from the US. Im assuming they sell a pot for airbrushing.

With airbrushing though say if you picked out a number of patterns that were done by Cerakote, how much would they be airbrushed with an enamel like product I guess would be OK on aluminium??

If you are looking at doing it commercially? Could you put up a Cerakote price off a site and indicate a airbrush cost?

Have a look at a site (Web and Facebook) called "Pinstriping by Rat", I think his is Cerakote and so what you would be up against as a finish quality in the product Vs what you could do with an airbrush and "pencil" brush.

Cheers and good luck!

Fully licensed importer, distributor of special run firearms and hopefully soon designer

Retail stock runout to get out of that. www.sportingfirearmsaustralia.com.au
Last Edit: 22 Jul 2016 14:08 by Sporting Firearms.

More
22 Jul 2016 16:59 - 22 Jul 2016 17:47 #3 by jhonvdp
jhonvdp replied the topic: Painting a rifle
You can thank me later: www.caswellplating.com/everything-for-firearms.html
They sell both Duracoat (good for stocks) and Cerakote (good for metal) - I generally buy my Cerakote from SLR, but Caswell is looking pretty competitive.

Apologies - had them confused with
www.caswellplating.com.au/

Stencils: www.stevensonenterprise.com/bulldogarms/
Google and you'll find more - multicam and kryptek patterns are out there.

I've done plenty of single colour Cerakote, and I Cerakoted my Manners T4 stock in a 4 colour digicam using stencils.
Last Edit: 22 Jul 2016 17:47 by jhonvdp.

More
22 Jul 2016 17:05 #4 by Aushunter
Aushunter replied the topic: Painting a rifle

More
22 Jul 2016 17:39 #5 by adamjp
adamjp replied the topic: Painting a rifle
Except that Caswell is in the USA and shipping will be impossible.

Duracoat is not available in Australia anymore as the hardener became a non-airfreight chemical.

For stocks there are several good commercial paints available, but they are too thick for coating the machined surfaces of guns. Cerakote is the product for use when keeping the action working matters.

More
22 Jul 2016 17:49 #6 by jhonvdp
Apologies, fixed it.
What are some good offerings for stocks that you mentioned? Hard to find the range of camo type colours in something tough enough. Paint shops are only really good with car paints which require a clear coat.

• bigchaza
More
22 Jul 2016 18:28 - 22 Jul 2016 18:44 #7 by bigchaza
bigchaza replied the topic: Painting a rifle
righto do they sell it not in a can so i can put it in an airbrush? if so do caswell sell it?
Last Edit: 22 Jul 2016 18:44 by bigchaza. Reason: wrote the wrong thing

More
22 Jul 2016 18:36 - 22 Jul 2016 18:38 #8 by Spurious
Spurious replied the topic: Painting a rifle
I got my DURACOAT from . . .

www.caswellplating.com.au/

edit : Touche, . . . . already fixed at top of thread
Last Edit: 22 Jul 2016 18:38 by Spurious. Reason: speeling n gramer

• bigchaza
More
22 Jul 2016 18:52 #9 by bigchaza
apologies i miss read the duracoat site i get how to do it now

More
22 Jul 2016 18:52 #10 by jhonvdp
Caswell Australia does have Duracoat in Aerosol, and there's this kit: www.caswellplating.com.au/store/store.ph...cu-light-tan-4oz-kit
The fact they sell it with a preval spray can would mean you can put it in an airbrush instead.
"4oz of DuraCoat
DuraCoat Hardener
LCW TruStrip Cleaner/Degreaser
Preval Aerosol Sprayer
Scrubbing Pad"

Example of a preval aerosol can: www.homedepot.com/p/Preval-9-oz-Complete...ay-Gun-267/202533738

• bigchaza
More
22 Jul 2016 18:59 #11 by bigchaza
aggggghhhh brilliant i am so happy i will report back with a finishes product

More
22 Jul 2016 20:04 #12 by adamjp
adamjp replied the topic: Painting a rifle
For stocks I use Valspar LIC43 with flattening agent to reduce the gloss.

The LIC43 can be mixed into ANY colour you may want with ordinary tinting agents and when applied to a properly prepared surface is pretty hard to remove.

www.licindustrial.com.au/products.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: jhonvdp

More
22 Jul 2016 21:48 #13 by jhonvdp
Thanks for the info, i had been wondering where to get 2k flat/satin colours but i like the idea of mixing a clear 2k poly into an existing colour.

More
23 Jul 2016 20:04 - 23 Jul 2016 20:05 #14 by Gregt
Gregt replied the topic: Painting a rifle

adamjp wrote: For stocks I use Valspar LIC43 with flattening agent to reduce the gloss.

The LIC43 can be mixed into ANY colour you may want with ordinary tinting agents and when applied to a properly prepared surface is pretty hard to remove.

I completely agree with Adam, this is great stuff. You can reduce it thin enough to paint intricate stuff like checkering on stocks and fine detail on parts but can also leave it a bit thicker to put some texture on a stock. Paint shops can mix it to match cerakote colours or you can just use the RAL colour charts to find something close to what you want. With some plastic primer you can cover pretty much anything and being 2 pack it stays stuck.

Guns don't kill people, Chuck Norris does.
Last Edit: 23 Jul 2016 20:05 by Gregt.

More
23 Jul 2016 21:12 #15 by Lew0984
Lew0984 replied the topic: Painting a rifle

Gregt wrote:

adamjp wrote: For stocks I use Valspar LIC43 with flattening agent to reduce the gloss.

I completely agree with Adam, this is great stuff. You can reduce it thin enough to paint intricate stuff like checkering on stocks and fine detail on parts but can also leave it a bit thicker to put some texture on a stock. Paint shops can mix it to match cerakote colours or you can just use the RAL colour charts to find something close to what you want. With some plastic primer you can cover pretty much anything and being 2 pack it stays stuck.

+ 3 for the LIC. I used to sell it along with Debeers about 10 years ago and got to use it quite a bit. From a tinny and a ute tray to a metal house roof I used it on everything and love the stuff. It's easy to use and as said you can run it thin or put it on thick, up to 300 microns per coat (an average cars paint is around 120 from steel to top coat) and it fills imperfections fantastically.
Cheers

Moderators: adamjp
Time to create page: 0.363 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login