• Rat man407's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
18 Feb 2015 22:09 #1 by Rat man407
Rat man407 created the topic: bedding howa with boyds stock
finally getting around to bedding my howa

not wanting to stuff it up i'm not sure how much wood I should remove
has anybody got any photos or advice from the last time there did it ?

once I done I will upload the photos and steps I have taken for future reference

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Skip
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Consistency is the key to marksmanship
More
18 Feb 2015 22:21 - 18 Feb 2015 22:22 #2 by Skip
Skip replied the topic: bedding howa with boyds stock

Rat man407 wrote: finally getting around to bedding my howa

not wanting to stuff it up i'm not sure how much wood I should remove
has anybody got any photos or advice from the last time there did it ?

Remove just enough material that will give the bedding a few mm thickness, too thin and it will eventually crack and or break off the stock.
Last Edit: 18 Feb 2015 22:22 by Skip.

More
18 Feb 2015 22:21 - 18 Feb 2015 22:39 #3 by Send-it
Send-it replied the topic: bedding howa with boyds stock
howa's are a great action to bed, due to their recoil lug shape, and squarer edges along the action underside.
if you use a good quality bedding agent, such as devcon or similar, you won't need to remove much material.

where possible remove at least 2 to 3 mm on the front bearing surface of the recoil lug area, and perhaps a few 2mm deep grooves or holes for the bedding compound to work into.
Don't remove much down the sides, perhaps 1.5 to 2 mm , but still add a few grooves/holes for compound to lock into.
the rear tang, remove about 1.5 to 2mm 'around' the rear tang area, but don't remove much underneath the rear tang.

this has worked really good for me before, but you'll need a good/strong quality bedding compound.
otherwise , as skip said, it'll crack through after a while.
i'll tack photo's of a spare stock I bedded tomorrow.
note that the recoil lug has a wedge shape, and this will create a semi v-block type relationship in the stock upon bedding.
the square edges along the sides help develop a constant lateral bearing surface too.

this will give a rough idea of how much area to bed with compound

somewhere around 1.5 to 2 inches forward of the recoil lug, and underneath the action length itself, and a little around the rear tang.

when clamping action into stock to squish the bedding, check for barrel alignment in the barrel channel, and that the action shape still matches the stock shape around the action ejection area, and keeps parallel to it.
don't tighten it much, only do it enough to establish that correct shape and fit.
only tighten it up to final torque figures once its cured approx. the next day.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 18 Feb 2015 22:39 by Send-it.

More
19 Feb 2015 10:03 - 19 Feb 2015 10:08 #4 by Gwion
Gwion replied the topic: bedding howa with boyds stock
Ratman, here's some pics of how i prep'ed the action before bedding. Plenty of release agent is good. Also notice the blind screws to sit the action into the stock while clean up and set time is happening. Taped around those screws to center them snuggly in the king-screw holes. Also used strips of bike inner tube to hold action in place, not to tight. The elastic quality prevents uneven pressure and there fore stress in the action & bedding. The highlighted area on the first pic shows where i should also have added a small bit of tape (first attempt in Hogue) because the bedding compound pushed the Plasticine out of that hole. Plugged and tapped it when i did the Boyds stock and no probs at all.

Tape is to allow a little relief/clearance where needed. As the others have mentioned, allow for more material behind the rear tang and the recoil lug.

You can buy a kit with bedding compound and everything else you need including instruction from:
www.ballisticstudies.com/shop/MatchGrade...edding+Compound.html

It's the stuff i have used and will use again $27US+ post from NZ. He has a good set of videos on youtube to show you the process of bedding too.

Bedded my action in two different stocks. First time was functional but not pretty, second time (in a Boyds) turned out quite nicely; neat and accurate.

Good luck with the job.

List to tick off:
- TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
- TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
- wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
- TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
- TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
- Comp dies for 7mm-08
- Case annealer
- Custom dies for wild cat

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 19 Feb 2015 10:08 by Gwion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rat man407

More
19 Feb 2015 10:30 #5 by Send-it
Send-it replied the topic: bedding howa with boyds stock

Gwion wrote: Tape is to allow a little relief/clearance where needed.

pretty much defeats the purpose of bedding it then, as bedding is to remove any voids between action and stock, and make them a perfect fit.
each to their own though i guess.

More
19 Feb 2015 12:45 - 19 Feb 2015 13:43 #6 by Gwion
Gwion replied the topic: bedding howa with boyds stock
It's a snug fit, not a tight fit. No chance of hang up under recoil. Only applied to sides on squared section of the action. Rounded section of the action/bedding and also the bottom of the action form the actual "rail" for true tracking under battery.

Just followed instructions from site I linked.

PS: Here's another link to the page with video instructions. About half way down there's a pictorial of setting up a Howa action plus explainations of various action shapes and bedding/relief techniques. I've got no vested interest in this stuff, just found it all very handy.

www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/B...edding+Compound.html

List to tick off:
- TICK!!! NEW SCOPE: Sightron S-tac 2.5-17.5 X 56mm
- TICK !!Left handed 223rem, Zastava M85
- wildcat build in progress: 223McShort
- TICK!!! Rebarrel Howa to 7mm-08
- TICK!!! case trimmer/turner
- Comp dies for 7mm-08
- Case annealer
- Custom dies for wild cat
Last Edit: 19 Feb 2015 13:43 by Gwion.

More
02 Mar 2015 22:47 #7 by RockRanger
RockRanger replied the topic: bedding howa with boyds stock
I'll also recommend the match grade bedding compound. No connection to the seller Nathan at all, but I found it to be a great product and the website video tutorials were the best I found on the net.

If I knew I was gonna live this long I would've taken better care of myself

Moderators: adamjp
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login