× Are you build/making rifle stocks/chassis

Bedding a boyds stock JB weld ?

More
16 Dec 2014 06:46 #21 by Jasta
Jasta replied the topic: Bedding a boyds stock JB weld ?
Go with Nathans product and follow his vids and you will get a great job. Pix are a Boyds stock for Savage Axis. If you take your time, relax and watch as many youtube clips on bedding you cant go wrong. Use plenty release agent on every part even it its not any where need the bedding compound.

Best part of using Nathans compound is you get support from Nathan. If you want to email him pix of what you are doing he will help you out and guide you in the right direction.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

I've torn out my alarm & de-registered from the Neighbourhood Watch. I've got two Pakistani flags raised in my front garden, one at each corner and the black flag of ISIS in the centre.
The police, ASIO, ASIS and the other intelligence services are all watching my house 24/7.
I've never felt safer

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Rat man407
  • Rat man407's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
16 Dec 2014 11:20 #22 by Rat man407
Rat man407 replied the topic: Bedding a boyds stock JB weld ?
Turns out Bunnings don't have JB weld so looks like Nathan's is the go then will order some tonight

• bunnybuster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Dec 2014 11:23 #23 by bunnybuster
bunnybuster replied the topic: Bedding a boyds stock JB weld ?
How does it shoot now Jasta? I see you used a G-clamp, I didn't think it was recommended to use them?

More
16 Dec 2014 18:47 #24 by Jasta
Hi Bunnybuster... The clamp was just holding the action down to the pillars and not very tight at all. As for how it shoots.......... 4 in 1 then the 5th shot was the "YOU CAN DO IT :woohoo: " shot that turns 1/4 moa into 1 moa :ohmy: ..

I've torn out my alarm & de-registered from the Neighbourhood Watch. I've got two Pakistani flags raised in my front garden, one at each corner and the black flag of ISIS in the centre.
The police, ASIO, ASIS and the other intelligence services are all watching my house 24/7.
I've never felt safer

• bunnybuster
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Dec 2014 21:28 #25 by bunnybuster
bunnybuster replied the topic: Bedding a boyds stock JB weld ?
Thanks for that Jasta, don't you hate it when 1 jumps out of bed! :facepalm: I gave up shooting targets, just too frustrating to me.

Nice shooting by the way.

Tell me a bit more about the pillar bedding side of things, hard/easy what did you use and how did you go about it all, I wouldn't mind doing to my rifles.

More
17 Dec 2014 21:26 - 17 Dec 2014 21:33 #26 by Jasta
Cant give away all me secrets :dry: All I can say is youtube is your best friend as there are 100s of hours to watch on pillar bedding. Its not hard to do and if you make a mistake its easy fixed. Depending on your rifle you can get pillar kits or if you know anyone with a lathe get them to spin up pillars.

Try this

I've never felt safer
Last Edit: 17 Dec 2014 21:33 by Jasta.

• Rat man407
  • Rat man407's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
17 Dec 2014 21:36 #27 by Rat man407
Rat man407 replied the topic: Bedding a boyds stock JB weld ?
so you think its worth getting a pillar as well?

know anywhere that stocks them for howa's?

More
18 Dec 2014 14:24 #28 by Jasta
I would but thats me. I would help and make things easy while you are there, but its up to you.

Try this post for making your own pillars and how to do the job on a Vanguard, pretty much the same, but you will be bedding differently using Nats compound.

forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3760454.0

pm me if you need help as I might be able to help.

I've never felt safer

More
18 Dec 2014 22:56 #29 by NoFerals
NoFerals replied the topic: Bedding a boyds stock JB weld ?
I used to use a two pot metal compound and it was good until it went off the market.
Tried a couple of other metal two part mix and the biggest problem was it sets too quick for you to work carefully.

Now I use DEKS ( google and put a dub dub dub in front and a .com .au in and you will find it.
This is a plumbers cast iron metal jointing compound that literally sets to iron hardness but it dos it over night or a couple of days for a complete set.
Is very easy to work almost runs in so mix and let it go off for about 20 minutes is good as it will be more like a putty and less stick to work.
Very light almost no pressure to hold things in place (cable ties are good ) overnight and it makes a great job.
And yes don`t over tension it just hold will do or you will squish out too much of the material.
Cleans up with water as most of these two pot metal puttys do.
Sets as hard as iron and will bugger drill bits.

I full length bed my Omarks with it and it works for me.
No action screws I have them as bolts set in the threads on the action and put a nut(s) on from the bottom.
Put a sleeve of say a plastic drink straw split to make a couple of layers of wrap around sleeve over the bolts to give some clearance and for release.
Could turn up a fancy embedded washer or a bottom metal plate if you like for neatness but hell these are workers not show ponys so no prizes there.
Two action bolts and none in the tang works fine.
No bedding in front of the recoil plate seems best (controversial but works for me).

Boot polish or any of the usual release agents work.

2 cents worth

My Job Interview:
Human Resources Manager: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Old Man : "Honesty!"
Human Resources Manager: "I don't think honesty is a weakness."
Old Man : "I don't give a f@#! what you think.".

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rat man407

More
21 Dec 2014 17:03 #30 by RockRanger
RockRanger replied the topic: Bedding a boyds stock JB weld ?
I recently completed my first bedding job and really happy with it. I used Nathan's Match Grade stuff and for any further jobs I'll do the same - if it ain't broke I'm not gonna try fixing it. As for pillars, I used some ally tube from the hardware, but I won't bother again. The first pillars were accidental. When glass bedding started to become popular, shooters noticed that the excess compound that had run down into the action screw holes of the stock had formed a pillar of material that would not compress. In future I'll just drill out the action screw holes in the stock to allow a more generous fill of bedding compound and be done with it. A lot easier than mucking about with ally pillars the way I did.

If I knew I was gonna live this long I would've taken better care of myself

More
21 Dec 2014 18:26 #31 by tinytim
tinytim replied the topic: Bedding a boyds stock JB weld ?

RockRanger wrote: I recently completed my first bedding job and really happy with it. I used Nathan's Match Grade stuff and for any further jobs I'll do the same - if it ain't broke I'm not gonna try fixing it. As for pillars, I used some ally tube from the hardware, but I won't bother again. The first pillars were accidental. When glass bedding started to become popular, shooters noticed that the excess compound that had run down into the action screw holes of the stock had formed a pillar of material that would not compress. In future I'll just drill out the action screw holes in the stock to allow a more generous fill of bedding compound and be done with it. A lot easier than mucking about with ally pillars the way I did.

I'm confused (it doesn't take much).
How will you get the holes in the right place?

I was under the impression that the pillars are attached to the action and then glued in place by the bedding compound. You then remove the screws and release the action. The pillars remain perfectly positioned.

What am I missing?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rat man407

More
22 Dec 2014 00:18 #32 by RockRanger
RockRanger replied the topic: Bedding a boyds stock JB weld ?
There's already holes in the stock for the action screws, and you need to use tape at the rear of the action to mask the stock from bedding compound overspill, and you can leave a tiny sliver of the original recoil lug mortise for the lug to locate against. They'll all give you a reference point to position the action in the stock. I spent literally hours watching youtube vids on all of this stuff, over a period of months. I was paranoid about glueing my action into the stock, or making a mistake, but having finally worked up the guts to do it once, although I made some minor mistakes, it's not really that hard. And if you stuff it up, you can just dremel out the compound and re-do it. Nathan's vids are the best I found, if you study them, you'll be right, I even pinched the wife's ipad and had his vids running while I was doing the bedding. But if you really want to use pillars, get some aluminium tube from the hardware and bung it in. I just found it another step which added complications, and if I was doing it again I wouldn't bother, but we all have our own ideas. I documented my build in the Project Build section but my photobucket account sank, so the pics have disappeared, unless someone can tell me how to edit posts?

If I knew I was gonna live this long I would've taken better care of myself

More
22 Dec 2014 00:34 #33 by tinytim

RockRanger wrote: ....., unless someone can tell me how to edit posts?

You could try clicking the edit button :whistle:

More
22 Dec 2014 00:36 #34 by fishphillott
fishphillott replied the topic: Bedding a boyds stock JB weld ?

tinytim wrote:

RockRanger wrote: ....., unless someone can tell me how to edit posts?

You could try clicking the edit button :whistle:

Tim I think the edit function disappears 24hrs after posting unless things have changed

Sent via smoke signals and carrier pigeons pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.

More
22 Dec 2014 15:06 #35 by tinytim
:oops:

Moderators: adamjp
Time to create page: 0.349 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login