× All topics and questions relating to bolt-action, centre-fire (CAT B.) rifles.

savage 7mm intro post...and stuff...

• Savage 7mm
  • Savage 7mm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
More
11 Mar 2018 16:18 #101 by Savage 7mm
Savage 7mm replied the topic: New here
interesting video on sorting cases/bullets

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Savage 7mm
  • Away
More
13 Mar 2018 17:11 #102 by Savage 7mm
looking forward to heading to tassie looks like the ranges there go 1000yds +

"If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito."

• Savage 7mm
  • Away
More
14 Mar 2018 15:27 #103 by Savage 7mm
just ordered a 20 pack of the hornady, see how they go

• Savage 7mm
  • Away
More
21 Mar 2018 20:02 - 21 Mar 2018 20:03 #104 by Savage 7mm
got my mail today, these projectile are quite a lot longer than the sierra, had to reset the press to set them same boat tail/start of neck, I rechecked the seating depth to the lands and came up with 3.661, with the boat tail at the neck start it is 3.608 so ~53 thou jump, loaded up some 70.2 and 70.3 as the 70.3 did have 2 same hole, that flyer could well have been me so I will do 2x 10 shot groups at 200m and see how it looks, good to have a CIP length mag for this

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 21 Mar 2018 20:03 by Savage 7mm.

• Savage 7mm
  • Away
More
21 Mar 2018 20:38 #105 by Savage 7mm
the weights were a bit over the shop, 179.3-180.3 , most in the 179 range with about 6 or 8 bang on 180 and 1x180.3

• Savage 7mm
  • Away
More
25 Mar 2018 15:10 - 25 Mar 2018 15:13 #106 by Savage 7mm
took it out to belmont today, funny how now they have bitumen'd the car park .... anyway loaded up 70.2 10 rounds and 10 at 70.3, I kinda leaning towards working around the 70.3 load as I think the group is a bit better, I pulled 1 shot in that lot ....this was at 200m

Last Edit: 25 Mar 2018 15:13 by Savage 7mm.

• Savage 7mm
  • Away
More
25 Mar 2018 17:14 #107 by Savage 7mm
or maybe stick with 70.2, I didn't really have my eye in today still feeling a bit ordinary from man flu I have had last 2 weeks...

• Savage 7mm
  • Away
More
26 Mar 2018 18:11 #108 by Savage 7mm
tho in hindsight might be wasting my time with these, the sierras shoot much better

• roy cobb
  • Away
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
26 Mar 2018 18:29 #109 by roy cobb
roy cobb replied the topic: New here
My 223 likes the Hornady 80 grain VLDs like them better than the sierras so you just never know what one they like to you jivr them a try
Roy

This isn't rocket science guys ... it's more complicated than that, and it has aspects of the Dark Arts, And this smokeless stuff will not last
The following user(s) said Thank You: Savage 7mm

• Savage 7mm
  • Away
More
26 Mar 2018 18:46 #110 by Savage 7mm
yeah we'll see I guess, if i can shoot down the back of our new place in tassie it might be ok I can play around with the loads and see if I can dial it in, the groups were a bit over the shop for my liking, it could well have been me as well, I don't feel I was shooting well....

• roy cobb
  • Away
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
26 Mar 2018 19:01 - 26 Mar 2018 19:01 #111 by roy cobb

Savage 7mm wrote: yeah we'll see I guess, if i can shoot down the back of our new place in tassie it might be ok I can play around with the loads and see if I can dial it in, the groups were a bit over the shop for my liking, it could well have been me as well, I don't feel I was shooting well....

Do some reloads the same and pick a good day to send them and see how they go one test load my not be enough
Roy

This isn't rocket science guys ... it's more complicated than that, and it has aspects of the Dark Arts, And this smokeless stuff will not last
Last Edit: 26 Mar 2018 19:01 by roy cobb.

• Savage 7mm
  • Away
More
26 Mar 2018 19:11 - 26 Mar 2018 19:14 #112 by Savage 7mm
yeah seems to me they might need a proper range, what works with the sierra obviously is not good for the hornady. What are your thoughts on the groups I think the group (cluster of shots discounting the wide ones) is tighter on the 70.3 load.

Last Edit: 26 Mar 2018 19:14 by Savage 7mm.

• roy cobb
  • Away
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
26 Mar 2018 19:26 - 26 Mar 2018 19:30 #113 by roy cobb
70.3 looks a better group but when you shoot 10 shots sometime shooter error creeps in as well
I kmow you shoot that many in F class but that with loads that you have confirmed to work I would shoot 3 to 5 shot groups than 10 shots buts thats just me

Last Edit: 26 Mar 2018 19:30 by roy cobb.

More
26 Mar 2018 19:40 #114 by magoo
magoo replied the topic: New here
I just ordered another box of 500 Sierra 140gr M/K when I noticed I was into my last 100 or so.
May have got the last pack. They have some 142gr Match kings but I did the development so not changing anything.

The ELDs shot OK but not as good as Sierra and the inconsistent weights can't help.

You may be shooting wallabies from the back porch with the .22 down there.
They are good tucker from what I hear.
Lots of envy, could be worth the cold with the heat we are now facing.

• Savage 7mm
  • Away
More
26 Mar 2018 19:54 #115 by Savage 7mm
yeah the weights were very inconsistent, the property we have a contract on is in tunnack, 'on the ridge' as they say, it even snows there we are told which will be heaven for the missus she is obsessed with snow.... but yeah we can't wait, hobart where I will be working, was 16 deg today.

• Savage 7mm
  • Away
More
10 May 2018 18:16 - 10 May 2018 18:17 #116 by Savage 7mm
finally just about settled in here in tassie, in tunnack, nice and cold here and wet at the moment. Going through the process of getting my tas gun licence, the B section is a bit of a chore I must say, anyway I have joined campbell town rifle club they go out to 1200 yards I believe. I am not yet set up enough to get out there shooting but hope to do so soon, think I will just buy a 500 lot of projectiles that should keep me going for a while, I will stick with the Sierra I watched mark and sam on you tube he tested the hornady against bergers and the bergers were more efficient and in my experience with them the sierra shoot much more consistently.

here is a pic of the house we have

Last Edit: 10 May 2018 18:17 by Savage 7mm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skip, HERNE, roy cobb, 17Hornet, The Cripple, magoo, Sparta

More
10 May 2018 20:29 #117 by magoo
Nice, just the sort of place I could see my retirement years out in.
Shed looks a decent size. Looks like you are on the edge there when the snow wind blows.
That will be the coldest time I recon, like me in the blue mountains. Stopped golf a few holes short as shorts and t shirt against the near snow breeze at 4.30 today were not cutting it.
Interesting what sort of spring and summer you get down there. Don't like the extreme heat we now get but not too sure on the extreme cold either.

Can't go far wrong with the Sierra, bit suss on the other mob and switched my deer hunting projies to 140gr SP Game Kings as deer can run with a chest cavity turned to mush. Also seen my first a big red hind, like a small horse.

• Savage 7mm
  • Away
More
10 May 2018 20:46 #118 by Savage 7mm
yeah we are 'on the ridge, it does snow here we are told, this place has no insulation so that will be seen to asap as well as some heat pumps

More
10 May 2018 20:53 #119 by magoo
Yeah, was thinking you will be burning a stack of wood.

Do you get the little pest roo's to shoot in the back yard ?

• MrCarbine
  • Away
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
  • Just honouring a great man!
More
11 May 2018 06:37 #120 by MrCarbine
MrCarbine replied the topic: New here
Nice but maybe it belongs in a different topic.

Time to create page: 0.437 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login