.260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor

• roy cobb
  • roy cobb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
08 Feb 2018 09:26 #81 by roy cobb
roy cobb replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor
Mr C just pick one and go with it both are good rounds I went with the 6.5 creedmoore and just loving it great performance with little recoil
Roy

This isn't rocket science guys ... it's more complicated than that, and it has aspects of the Dark Arts, And this smokeless stuff will not last

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2018 11:51 #82 by magoo
magoo replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor
All 3 are great and seen real good accuracy results from all of them.

The Tikka Swede action is a bit longer but dosn't bother me in the least even shooting them back to back.

Never tried light projies as that would be more .243 territory, just 140s and 120s.
The Tikka was a bit fussy and took a lot of developement.
Still likes 120s better than the 140 pills but it is a super light hunting rifle.
The Howa Creed varmint just shot great out of the box.
Went from 120 to 140s and it got even better. Changed from 8208 to 2209 and it just holed out .
That was all with a trigger that was a bit too heavy so it was the 1st trigger I have ever had a full job done.
Was too light after that but adjusted a bit and fine.

• MrCarbine
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
  • Just honouring a great man!
More
08 Feb 2018 22:20 - 09 Feb 2018 17:58 #83 by MrCarbine
MrCarbine replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor
"Whats it going to be used for Mr.C?"

Mostly shooting rocks on the range ... LOL
Not into LR just plinking and possibly toting it on interstate trips after ferals.
The idea is, that I like it enough not to dispose of it (like the last custom I build in 6.5x54 MS).
I initially was set on the 260 Rem, however I am really warming up to the 6.5 Creedmore more and more. A problem I discovered recently is that the 6.5 Creed requires a smaller diameter firing pin, due to the small rifle primers it uses. More complications.
Last Edit: 09 Feb 2018 17:58 by MrCarbine.

More
08 Feb 2018 23:29 - 08 Feb 2018 23:30 #84 by Aushunter
Aushunter replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor

MrCarbine wrote: A problem I discovered recently is that the 6,5 Creed requires a smaller diameter firing pin

Never heard of that one :blink:
Last Edit: 08 Feb 2018 23:30 by Aushunter.

• roy cobb
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
09 Feb 2018 07:03 #85 by roy cobb

Aushunter wrote:

MrCarbine wrote: A problem I discovered recently is that the 6,5 Creed requires a smaller diameter firing pin

Never heard of that one :blink:

Firing pin is off a standard size you need a small depriming pin for small flash hole

This isn't rocket science guys ... it's more complicated than that, and it has aspects of the Dark Arts, And this smokeless stuff will not last
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aushunter

More
09 Feb 2018 07:41 #86 by Chazwood
Chazwood replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor

MrCarbine wrote: "Whats it going to be used for Mr.C?"

Mostly shooting rocks on the range ... LOL
Not into LR just plinking and possibly toting it on interstate trips after ferals.
The idea is, that I like it enough not to dispose of it (like the last custom I build in 6.5x54 MS).
I initially was set on the 260 Rem, however I am really warming up to the 6.5 Creedmore more and more. A problem I discovered recently is that the 6,5 Creed requires a smaller diameter firing pin, due to the small rifle primers it uses. More complications.

The firing pin is the same as a 308, if you buy Lapua brass you need the smaller decapping pin. I think Peterson make both the small primer brass and large primer, Lapua only the small primer.
I have never seen any factory rounds using the small primer brass.

More
09 Feb 2018 16:02 #87 by adamjp
adamjp replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor
A good all round bullet for these cartridges is the 130gn Berger Hunting VLD. Plenty of kill at normal ranges, very accurate and the further out you go, it holds the wind.

The 120gn NBT is an awesome bullet within 300m on thin skinned, low muscle animals. The 140gn Woodleigh is great for inside 200m on larger animals with more muscle and thicker skin.

The use of a small dia. firing pin is related to higher pressures. The 6.5 CM will work well with a normal sized firing pin, but if you intend to run small primer brass (from Lapua) AND you intend to run it at higher pressures, then a bushed firing pin would be an advantage. My third 6.5x47 Lapua had a normal firing pin and was puncturing the primers. Had the bolt bushed and the pin made small and it had no problems. It isn't so much about the pin size, more about the size of the gap around the pin on the boltface.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrCarbine

More
10 Feb 2018 15:30 #88 by Aushunter
Aushunter replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor

adamjp wrote: A good all round bullet for these cartridges is the 130gn Berger Hunting VLD. Plenty of kill at normal ranges, very accurate and the further out you go, it holds the wind.

The 120gn NBT is an awesome bullet within 300m on thin skinned, low muscle animals. The 140gn Woodleigh is great for inside 200m on larger animals with more muscle and thicker skin.

130gn Berger Hunting VLD are my 'go to' projy's for my .260, tested the 120 NBT's & 120 Amax'\s as well but the Tikka liked the Amax's better, even after trying a couple of different powder.
In saying that they both would do the task for hunting.

More
01 Apr 2018 19:42 #89 by speerchucker
speerchucker replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor
noferals is the rail on the action 20moa or zero like the front one

cheers

More
01 Apr 2018 20:08 #90 by NoFerals
NoFerals replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor

speerchucker wrote: noferals is the rail on the action 20moa or zero like the front one

cheers

www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-prec...0mm_20moa-riflescope

20 moa and costs an arm and a leg .
With out actually fitting one I would suggest having a look at leupold QR in a high mount.
Probably fit ok.
Note the rail under the front end of the night force has been planed off.
I don`t need it and it lets me fit a Leupold 8- 25x 50 in medium mounts ok --- just a whisker ok but ok no less.
Lightens the rifle considerably and good for feral control or target.
The vortex mount is solid as but can be a problem with eye relief if you are a smaller stature person.

My Job Interview:
Human Resources Manager: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Old Man : "Honesty!"

Human Resources Manager: "I don't think honesty is a weakness."
Old Man : "I don't give a f@#! what you think.".

I live in my own little world but it`s ok as they know us here

More
01 Apr 2018 20:32 #91 by speerchucker

NoFerals wrote:

speerchucker wrote: noferals is the rail on the action 20moa or zero like the front one

cheers

www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-prec...0mm_20moa-riflescope

20 moa and costs an arm and a leg .
With out actually fitting one I would suggest having a look at leupold QR in a high mount.
Probably fit ok.
Note the rail under the front end of the night force has been planed off.
I don`t need it and it lets me fit a Leupold 8- 25x 50 in medium mounts ok --- just a whisker ok but ok no less.
Lightens the rifle considerably and good for feral control or target.
The vortex mount is solid as but can be a problem with eye relief if you are a smaller stature person.

this tika is starting to get out of my price range I was hoping it was like the la105 and came with a 20moa rail

cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: NoFerals

• roy cobb
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
01 Apr 2018 20:42 #92 by roy cobb
I installed Burris XTR Signature rings with these you get from 0 to 40moa worked fine for me and I to get rings any way

www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/x

More
01 Apr 2018 20:59 #93 by speerchucker
did you blokes get the hard case and a bipod with the rifle

More
01 Apr 2018 21:11 - 01 Apr 2018 21:24 #94 by speerchucker
don't worry I found this so when you take this into account it aint all that exy

INCLUDES
◾Tikka TACA1 Rifle
◾Muzzle Break
◾Spare Magazine *same as CTR S54065122
◾Negrini Tactical Case with Tikka Logo
◾TAC Bi-pod 6-9” Swivel with Picatinny Adaptor
Last Edit: 01 Apr 2018 21:24 by speerchucker.

More
01 Apr 2018 22:35 - 01 Apr 2018 22:41 #95 by NoFerals
NoFerals replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor
Yep all the bits I probably or almost certainly won`t use.
The case is great but not an essential item for me.
The Brake sort of a non starter as there`s no recoil to speak of and ranges won`t allow the thing anyway.
In the field it works fine but the noise is over the top and ear muffs are just another thing to F&^%$#ck with when you need to snap shots of quick from a shooting bus.
In the ear electronic heraing aids are good on their own anyway but even they struggle for effective ness against the short barrel and brake.
I added a heap of front weight and the flat fore end for weight and stability off a bench does the same thing for recoil any way and is removable in seconds for bush work.
I don`t bend enough to shoot prone even if I did want to and I don`t :whistle:
The bipod ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: never use one , can`t see me throwing myself on the ground in the Bindiis or at any speed anyway -- tripping over old flat fences in the scrub has happened though on one or two occasions ,and that`s down quick like it or not, but I know where they are ,,, still hate Rex Hunts who leave old fences for ever to rot in the bush.
The spare mag is good and I will use it for culling work when I need more than ten straight off at times.

The other choice was to build a dedicated 6 or 6 .5 mil on an Omark but finding a top notch Gunnie willing to do that was too hard and project was binned.
Option 3 would have cost around the same $$ with a heavy barrel on some thing new like a Pirerce or Barnard and would possibly shoot a tad better but not with my bush skills and old eyes , and can`t read wind for shit. :facepalm:

I am a scrubber love it or hate it WYSIWYG,
A few <insert large numbers here > ferals wont argue it though.

Edit : Tikka is a top little shooter in any calibre I have had and never a disappointment even with their dopey 3 shot mag on the old LSA 55 i

My Job Interview:
Human Resources Manager: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Old Man : "Honesty!"

Human Resources Manager: "I don't think honesty is a weakness."
Old Man : "I don't give a f@#! what you think.".

I live in my own little world but it`s ok as they know us here

Last Edit: 01 Apr 2018 22:41 by NoFerals.

• roy cobb
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
02 Apr 2018 00:21 #96 by roy cobb

speerchucker wrote: did you blokes get the hard case and a bipod with the rifle

Yes plus all the other gear as well and the bipod and mag I needed for competition
Roy

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login