.260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor

More
02 Nov 2017 21:57 - 02 Nov 2017 22:00 #61 by NoFerals
NoFerals replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor

magoo wrote: I have been looking for answers but my understanding is limited.

Uses muzzle breaks on it and all rifles it seems but with about 5 seconds to get the scope back on target after letting off the shot I can't work out why he want's to go deaf. His choice I s`pose.

I will go with that .
After thinking that it would be a good thing and it was part of the package I tried it.
F *&&^%^ck Its`still an ear destroyer -- ringer anyway if your muffs move your in for a deaf session and recoil is nothing to think about.
So now there`s a Tikke brake brand spanking for sale.
Well engineered and a nice looking thing plus a bit more front weight but nah ! superfluous to my needs.

Just on a few close running in shots at 100 yds it puts the factory140 Eld`s in a ragged hole.

Good enuf for mee.

Trivia :bloke in our club has a Tikka 6.5 x55 with a sprinter barrel on it and a Boyds stock and he is keeping the 6x47 lapua custom job shooters honest with it.
Nothing bad about 6.5x55`s or Tikkas in my view.
But I may be biased :whistle:

Labour are just the Greens in drag.
Last Edit: 02 Nov 2017 22:00 by NoFerals.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2017 23:55 #62 by magoo
magoo replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor
Interesting bit I came across looking on utube was aussie review doing a break test.
Result was not for him as the noise was a shock and left an ear ringing even with the top protection he had on and full out doors.

I still have very good hearing but 10 years working in a real bad machinery noise left me with 24-7 ringing.

I once let off a .223. Shotty and the Swede without hearing protection.
All 3 times was an explosion of much louder ringing.

Breaks are for people that don't know the results they are in for . Gun fire is too loud when you are behind it, let alone beside or in front of it
The following user(s) said Thank You: NoFerals

More
07 Jan 2018 10:02 #63 by headspace
headspace replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor
I'm a firm believer in the 6.5 Creedmoor for a couple of reasons. Firstly and most important for me is that it was designed as a target cartridge. One US reviewer commented that the Creedmoor is the 260 Rem "done right". I shoot 500m Fly and the cartridge has been easy to load for and loves 140grain Bergers. My rifle is a stock standard Savage LRP with a 12-42x56 Nightforce scope and a Vortex 20MOA rail.
My load using Nosler Brass is 42.3gn 2209, a CCI LR primer and a 140gn Berger VLD Target. I'm getting just under 2,800fps at the muzzle. I've shot it out to 1,000yards using the Silver Mountain electronic system at the target and terminal velocity was 1,500fps still not subsonic. Scores for 3 details were 37, 42 and 47. I never considered this a hunting cartridge because there are plenty of others that will do the job. But as a target cartridge it continues to impress a lot of people.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: NoFerals, roy cobb

More
07 Jan 2018 21:02 #64 by Westy
Westy replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor

headspace wrote: I'm a firm believer in the 6.5 Creedmoor for a couple of reasons. Firstly and most important for me is that it was designed as a target cartridge. One US reviewer commented that the Creedmoor is the 260 Rem "done right". I shoot 500m Fly and the cartridge has been easy to load for and loves 140grain Bergers. My rifle is a stock standard Savage LRP with a 12-42x56 Nightforce scope and a Vortex 20MOA rail.
My load using Nosler Brass is 42.3gn 2209, a CCI LR primer and a 140gn Berger VLD Target. I'm getting just under 2,800fps at the muzzle. I've shot it out to 1,000yards using the Silver Mountain electronic system at the target and terminal velocity was 1,500fps still not subsonic. Scores for 3 details were 37, 42 and 47. I never considered this a hunting cartridge because there are plenty of others that will do the job. But as a target cartridge it continues to impress a lot of people.

that looks familiar that rifle .. I've seen it in my safe from time to time ,if it's that good john I might forget the combinations next time....LMAO

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth.
-Mike Tyson-

More
08 Jan 2018 12:53 #65 by headspace
headspace replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor
You told me the combination mate, I just have to remember it.

More
06 Feb 2018 19:25 - 06 Feb 2018 19:27 #66 by NoFerals
6.5 Creed` ;) It`s no slouch as a goat slayer either.
Tried the Tikka tac 3 Ai or whatever its fancy label is today and I am impressed.

Load 120 grn Nosle BT over 44 grns of 2209 for ??? some good speed but no pressure signs.
Tried it with the brake as it comes issued like that and despite my previous comments regarding brake being a bit over the top for hunting I need to correct that.
With solid hearing protection its fine and recoil is nothing -- very easy to just aim and squeeze soft like.

For 20 shots Every one was a bang flop on the spot .
No runners no twitchers no double taps needed.
The only thing I ever saw shoot thing so dead is 308 fed tac buckets.
For stake out shoots its a winner at any range you can be confidant with or know prior.
Very happy with my Teeeker

Last Edit: 06 Feb 2018 19:27 by NoFerals.

More
06 Feb 2018 19:42 #67 by magoo
Good stuff.
What was the longest distance goat shot ?
Are the 120 Noslers a hunting, target or both bullet ?

I reckon my heavy creed would have been just the ticket for Qld roo crop protection.
They were gun shy and out of .223 range and a bit far for the scope on my Swede.
The Creed and big Bushy would have done well off the ute as I have the drop sheets all sorted and a longer range finder lol.

More
06 Feb 2018 21:18 #68 by Mack260rem
Mack260rem replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor
www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/17/b...on-vs-6-5-creedmoor/

My .260rem with 140 gr VLD bergers on top of VV550n shoot on avg 70FPS faster than my mates new 6.5 cm with 140gr Bergers
speed wins the race
just saying

Marlin 1894 .44rem mag
Tikka T3 Super Varmint .260rem
Savage Axis XP Camo .260rem
Ruger American .22wmr
BSA SuperSport XL .22
Adler A110 Synthetic 20" 12ga
Boito Miura U/O 12ga
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pitty

More
06 Feb 2018 22:55 #69 by NoFerals

magoo wrote: Good stuff.
What was the longest distance goat shot ?
Are the 120 Noslers a hunting, target or both bullet ?

The Nolsers 120 grn are just a ballistic tip AFIK.
At 600 yds they will print a bit higher than a 139 Lapua but seem to be slightly less accurate and wind blown around too.
The 139 Lapua may well be a good grasshopper projectile to --- time and a couple of trial shots on goats will soon indicate.
ATM goats are anywhere from reasonable condition to a walking skeleton with a skin on and projectile results vary a lot depending on the animal.

The creed is a new kid on the block for me so I am still learning its quirks but If I go on the old Swede I had doing the same work the 6.5 is just a calibre to beat in any form.

Ranges from on the end of the barrrel to say 300 yds is the norm with a few further out.
Getting goats to stand still at all :angry: rather than upright like fence posts is another thing altogether :whistle:

More
07 Feb 2018 08:56 #70 by Chazwood
Chazwood replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor
The Creed is a extremely good round for most hunting situations in Australia, as is most 6.5 rifles.
While the 139 scenars are very accurate they're not so good on grasshoppers as it's like sticking a pencil through them. Only tried them one night didn't go back for a second.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NoFerals

More
07 Feb 2018 09:13 #71 by magoo
Was interested as I heard one of the extreme long range hunters was using Sierra Match Kings.
I know goats are not as fussy about what pills they take and these blokes are taking them at ranges of 800-1,000 yds.

They have all the equipment and know what they are doing.

Maybe they stick with those pills as they have tested with them and know they are proven to hold the accuracy needed.

Have heard of lots using the ballistic tip Hrdy target bullets but not heard much about the small hollow point Sierras been used.

More
07 Feb 2018 09:21 #72 by Pilch303
Pilch303 replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor
When i had a needmore I used 90grn speers on roos and also 85grn sierras.....seemed pretty good for the job, good for foxes too. Looking at it the creedmoor will probably be of more use in Australia for game shooting. Very mild to shoot and can keep the weekend warrior's happy plonking some steel at long distance.

Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

More
07 Feb 2018 11:24 #73 by NoFerals
yep ! not reading much on the lighter projectiles yet but I do have some Norma 75 grn V Max and the accuracy is outstanding.
Splat effect yet to be determined but I am confident Splat they will.
For the longer ranges the 143 grn ELDx is top stuff for a range rifle.
Hunting I would expect it to do the job too.

Why the 6.5x55 was never developed further remains a bit of a mystery as it will equal all the 6.5`s in a good custom barrel.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chazwood

More
07 Feb 2018 16:52 #74 by Send-it
Send-it replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor

NoFerals wrote: Why the 6.5x55 was never developed further remains a bit of a mystery as it will equal all the 6.5`s in a good custom barrel.

well you've just answered your own question.
yep, the ol' 6.5x55 is still just as good as any other modern 6.5.
those swede's got it almost perfect a century ago.

More
07 Feb 2018 16:59 #75 by Pilch303
Pilch303 replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor

Nice looking cracker even in the military form.

Oh dear, how sad....never mind.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

More
07 Feb 2018 17:02 - 07 Feb 2018 17:06 #76 by NoFerals
The observant among us may have noticed or just missed that damn near every rifle cartridge known to man seems to have an earlier European equivalent or at least a parent.
Things have just gotten wild-catted which is where the performance is often at but comes at a considerable cost for the privilege of a few feet a second speed or a minuscule last ounce squeezed out tiny group on paper.
Not surprisingly dead animals don`t report on the perceived performance differences thus proving that dead is dead and that`s it.

Ease of shooting is the go for mine and a good old 6.5 with soft recoil lots of retained energy and just gently squeeze off precisely placed shots does it for mine.
I might be wrong too but oh well.

Wonder how many improved versions of a 6.5x55 there are around gotta be some thing in that.

Last Edit: 07 Feb 2018 17:06 by NoFerals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrCarbine

• MrCarbine
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
  • Just honouring a great man!
More
07 Feb 2018 22:50 #77 by MrCarbine
MrCarbine replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor
You blokes are making my head spin.
I been trying to decide on a 6.5mm and this is definitely not helping.
The parameters I have set pretty much fit these two cartridges and I can't decide which one to pick.

More
07 Feb 2018 23:14 #78 by NoFerals
I went for a Creedmore simply because of all the reading and hype and it really seems like a bigger 222.
Has all the attributes of good case dimensions /fairly straight so should be good on brass /longish neck so should be reasonable on barrels etc. I don`t need a super banger to boot the crap out of my shoulder or reach out to infinity.
Just a comfortable and very accurate rifle that`s easy to shoot on targets to 900 yds and can double as a feral banger for a bit of culling work that`s left.
Most of the 6.5 `s seem pretty similar so its down to easy to reload for once you have your brass <expensive to start with>and go , a good selection of projectiles to chose from as well.
I don`t shoot bigger ferals or piggies with heavy hides so the creed is just right so is a 6.5 x55 but the chambering i was told the long throat was a concern.
243 is like lightning strikes fatal one time and running dead the next so a bit more caliber and it works.
More thump needed I have 308.

For extra confusion read here.
www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase.html

More
08 Feb 2018 06:12 #79 by Chazwood
Chazwood replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor
"yep ! not reading much on the lighter projectiles yet but I do have some Norma 75 grn V Max and the accuracy is outstanding.
Splat effect yet to be "
I used to shoot 95gr V-MAX'S out of my Creed was super accurate but I had to seat them that long that I had one several occasions the projectile fall out of the case, and it's a real PITA when it happens in the action. But had no problem on deer or pigs, with zero customer complaints.

More
08 Feb 2018 06:16 - 08 Feb 2018 06:59 #80 by Aushunter
Aushunter replied the topic: .260 Rem ver. 6.5 creedmoor

MrCarbine wrote: You blokes are making my head spin.
I been trying to decide on a 6.5mm and this is definitely not helping.
The parameters I have set pretty much fit these two cartridges and I can't decide which one to pick.

Whats it going to be used for Mr.C?

Something you might like.to read.

bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/06/whi...n-or-6-5x55-swedish/

I really enjoy my .260 & it does what I bought it for though given the chance again I would be steering toward the Swede.

Brass is cheaper & a good variety of factory ammo available.

I guess the one downside is the longer action it uses (not sure about the Tikka though, could be the same?) But if that doesn't bother you the out of all 3 it has the potential performance edge at longer distances.
Last Edit: 08 Feb 2018 06:59 by Aushunter.

Time to create page: 0.385 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login