× Discussions relating to Australia Gun Laws, Your Rights & News

Supressors

More
16 Apr 2018 20:47 #1 by Gippy
Gippy created the topic: Supressors
I have worked for many years in foreign countries and have discussed rifles/ shooting with many different people; some discussions have covered suppressors, mainly with fellow shooters from England /Scotland. I think we in Australia should try to follow what the English did to have the government legalize suppressors for use on our rifles.
In England the shooters approached the government to allow suppressors on an OHS basis whereby the shooter required a suppressor to minimize the effects of rifle and shotgun ear damage as an OHS basis if the government would not allow shooters the safety of a suppressor they would be in breach of safety legislation.They also used the use of suppressors to minimize the impact on neighboring properties and residents of said properties.
Our laws are originally based on the English laws and as such can we pursue this idea and have the use of suppressors legalized they would make an environmental, health and social benefit to our sport.

Regards Gippy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clinto86
The topic has been locked.
  • HERNE
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Apr 2018 21:02 #2 by HERNE
HERNE replied the topic: Supressors
You are drawing a long bow on the OH&S chestnut....

It's referred to as WHS now as they changed a few things to put more onus, responsibility and educate on the operator... But you still have to try and edumacate the village idiot.

So if you want one WHS does apply in this country. You can own and use one, if you need it for work... You have probably a better chance of trying to jump through those burning hoops than changing legislation.

But knock yourself out... Where do I sign?

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gippy
More
16 Apr 2018 21:08 #3 by Gippy
Gippy replied the topic: Supressors
Thanks Herne i was just putting it out there we have turned Australia into a Nany state with all the new rules for things i thought if we could push for the safety and well being side and there were enough of us we might get it though.

Gippy
  • HERNE
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Apr 2018 21:23 #4 by HERNE
'Gippy', no two ways about it mate... But easy on the 'we' eh?

There's still a few of us who regularly are getting in trouble, having to have our knuckles wrapped with a feather duster, sit on the naughty mat and be asked to attend some sort of edumacation program.

Why, just recently I sat through plenty of Womens Rugby Sevens Commonwealth Games coverage... Besides being pleasantly surprised at the level of competition, found myself edumacated and wanting to watch more. :)

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeadMeat
More
16 Apr 2018 21:42 #5 by shootist
shootist replied the topic: Supressors
This report ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?articl...context=ecuworks2011 that is a couple of years old now, which has the rather lengthy title 'An Investigation Into The Use Of Sound Moderators On Firearms For Game And Feral Management In New South Wales', is worth downloading and reading/digesting. It's a 1.5M pdf.
There are H & S issues which are addressed, as well as reference to other jurisdictions that either prohibit or permit the use of sound moderators.

Unfortunately, our servants seem to be afflicted with a mindset gained from watching too many movies, the result of which is that there is a belief that only a criminal would use such a device.

shootist

When governments fear the people, there is Liberty: When people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
More
16 Apr 2018 21:45 #6 by Gippy
Sorry about the "we" i do believe my generation (born after the war) let the country down in not stopping the new generation of polies and educators making a mockery of what my father and his mates from the second world war wanted for this country we were building a nation now we are too busy trying to appease the do gooders instead of getting off our collective arses and getting on with business. This is the best country in the world i have worked in the States, South America, Africa, Europe and Asia we are way ahead of all those places but we need to look at their mistakes and make sure we don't follow them. Sorry for getting on the high horse i know your feelings for this country from reading your posts but with the rules the way they are; the decent people cant have a say anymore.

Gippy
  • HERNE
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 Apr 2018 22:01 #7 by HERNE
'Gippy', don't beat yourself up mate...

'Baby Boomers' had a lot of distractions and trade offs over that period of growth. What was deemed trivial and/or everlasting then, just isn't today.

• danandria
  • Away
  • just trying to be funny
More
16 Apr 2018 22:59 #8 by danandria
danandria replied the topic: Supressors

Gippy wrote: but with the rules the way they are; the decent people cant have a say anymore.

Gippy

Well I reckon every generation lets things slide whether they know or not that probably should have been pulled up, either too busy with life or didn't really understand wtf was happening. I have a regular argument with my kids about the slide in our freedom of speech amongst others but it kinda falls on deaf ears and I probably come across like a bit of a dinosaur. I have to remind myself we grew up in different eras and teachers prioritised things differently.
Suppressors have a place and I reckon it will happen, dunno if I will ever get a permit though.....:facepalm:
  • sn@abrc
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
  • Perth, W.A.
More
17 Apr 2018 03:05 #9 by sn@abrc
sn@abrc replied the topic: Supressors

shootist wrote: This report ro.ecu.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?articl...context=ecuworks2011 shootist

Some of the study for this report was done at our range in early '96 - measuring sound levels of different calibres etc. as well as seeing what types of hearing protection our members used and preferred, and if anyone had hearing damage from shooting.

Page 36 mentions our club (Armadale-Byford Rifle Club - based at Pickering Brook rifle range) about 1/2 way down.
Our Club Captain was trying to get a spare pair of earmuffs to fit onto Mopar's boofy head, as Mopar's had been borrowed by a visitor.

(Mopar was his bull terrier - a card carrying club member, voluntary BBQ quality control officer, chief tester of jerky and rug-rat supervisor) B)

When Mopar wasn't busy fulfilling his official duties, he would be sleeping under the seats behind the firing mounds - asleep, but flinching every time a shot was fired.

As you can imagine with the amount of rifle fire on the range, his flinching was almost like having a mild epileptic fit - until one of the Army Cadet kids stuck a pair of earmuffs on Mopar and the flinching stopped straight away.

all times wasted wots not spent shootin'
More
17 Apr 2018 11:18 #10 by magoo
magoo replied the topic: Supressors
We have about the same chances as using our shotties to bring down flying pigs.

With their current agender to turn Shittney and Melbourne into cities more like Mexico, filling all their pockets off the developers, they will be more concerned with further gun control. Just need the shooters votes first. Then plan with a full term.

Gotta be a reason they all put up their hands for the top job. Even the potato head thought he was in with a chance.
Smartest one is the poker faced she devil who is probably planing how to skim as much fat off the top in a short 2-3 year term plan.

Wake up Australia before it is too late. The other mob won't change the rules and give back what was taken from us.

Sorry, but they make me a little angry at times.
  • HERNE
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
17 Apr 2018 12:16 #11 by HERNE
I love these threads....:)

• The Cripple
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
  • Tassie
More
17 Apr 2018 15:49 #12 by The Cripple
The Cripple replied the topic: Supressors

HERNE wrote: I love these threads....:)

Yep, just like the ones that occasionally pop up and talk about the right to bear arms....

I have more guns than I need but not as many as I want ;)
More
17 Apr 2018 18:23 #13 by Ernk
Ernk replied the topic: Supressors
Gents,

Not far from here, in a vacant land (they are all over here), across the "dutch", you can suppress to your hearts content...

www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/08/dean-w...eap-and-unregulated/

One thing the Kiwi's got right.
More
17 Apr 2018 19:29 #14 by Gippy
I cant believe where we are today i know i started on suppressors but back in the day a rifle i owned was used by a Cadet in Melbourne he used to carry it to school on a tram and around here kids used to carry .22 rifles on the handle bars of their bikes and ride up the main street going shooting rabbits. Look where we are today the kids of the past were respectful and mostly trustworthy they knew what fire arms were capable of and knew what was right and how to behave. I would not trust half the kids of today with a firearm; they get into enough trouble with paint cans and vandalizing everything they can. Maybe if they were taught the ways of the bush and how to hunt they might be different but the do-gooders would put a stop to that too. This is getting morbid i still believe we should be allowed suppressors for both our hearing sake and to minimize the effects to others around our hunting areas maybe we will there but i seriously doubt it. Thanks for the replies and comments i guess i am just an old man thinking of what i miss from the past and the freedoms we took for granted like Herne said it ain't what it used to be.
Like the song

Until next time Gippy
The following user(s) said Thank You: NoFerals, Sparta
More
17 Apr 2018 19:42 #15 by 17Hornet
17Hornet replied the topic: Supressors

The TRUTH is out there,
the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny
  • fishphillott
  • Away
More
17 Apr 2018 19:57 #16 by fishphillott
fishphillott replied the topic: Supressors
just like semi autos if you really want one there are avenues available if you are willing to get the correct tickets if you are not willing to put the hard yards in I guess you don't really want one that badly

Sent via smoke signals and carrier pigeons pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.
More
17 Apr 2018 20:30 #17 by magoo
magoo replied the topic: Supressors
Gotta remember If you went through the hoops for a semi or suppressor, it can only be used on the property job it was licenced for.
Can't even pull it out for pest control on your own land. Transporting it would open another can of worms.

I hunt smart animals on public land so would be the first on the waiting list to pay for an overpriced muffler.

Also, it's not about common sense. Haven't you seen what these things can do in the James Bond movies.
More
17 Apr 2018 20:39 #18 by Gippy
Yes we have(James Bond Movies) but in the real world they aren't that quiet from my experience; in South Australia years ago on .22 rifles they were quiet enough when shooting you could hear the firing pin but at the other end you could still hear a discharge.

Gippy
If you like pm me Magoo
More
17 Apr 2018 20:39 #19 by MSR
MSR replied the topic: Supressors
Remember the bulk of the vote is in the shitties; when incidents occur like last week where some apartment dweller overlooking the harbour where there was a police action occurring, decided to use his scope to have a gander at what was going on. Fair enough, except it was still attached to the bloody rifle.

The Old Bill had a meltdown with some dude lining them up from his balcony with a 'high powered rifle' while neighbourhood Joe Sixpacks and Nancy Housewives who the TV interviewed were universally shocked that there were 'high powered weapons' (they actually said 'great big long guns') in their residential area, and why would anyone need such a big gun?

With this reflecting the majority city-dweller view, and the never-ending stream of gun violence in the US of Hey, we have Buckleys chance of a sympathetic hearing from any side of majority politicians.

"Have more than you show
Talk less than you know"
Moderators: adamjp
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login