× Post Your Firearm Legal Questions Here

Minimum requirements to keep licence and club information

• Johnmorrison
  • Johnmorrison's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 Mar 2018 00:18 - 11 Mar 2018 00:18 #1 by Johnmorrison
Johnmorrison created the topic: Minimum requirements to keep licence and club information
Hi , i currently have category A,B,H licences i plan to get my Cat R licence as well and have 2 main questions (Inside NSW)

1.Do i have to stay in a gun club or is there a way to satisfy the genuine reasons without being a member if not what are the bare minimum requirements to maintain the 4 categories above ?

2.Can anyone suggest a club with a cheap membership the SSAA looked appealing with the $1800 lifetime membership however it does not cover H ? currently my club charges around $500 a year which to me is expensive considering i don't go often
Last Edit: 11 Mar 2018 00:18 by Johnmorrison.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• danandria
  • just trying to be funny
More
11 Mar 2018 01:05 - 11 Mar 2018 01:06 #2 by danandria
danandria replied the topic: Minimum requirements to keep licence and club information
Hi John,
If you use club membership as the genuine reason for your firearms ownership well then you need to remain an active member of a club.
Current adult annual membership of SSAA NSW is $90 a year. Range fees if required to maintain your membership will vary depending on location.

Welcome to the forum, and please tell us more about yourself.
Last Edit: 11 Mar 2018 01:06 by danandria.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnmorrison

• Johnmorrison
More
11 Mar 2018 06:03 #3 by Johnmorrison
Johnmorrison replied the topic: Minimum requirements to keep licence and club information

danandria wrote: Hi John,
If you use club membership as the genuine reason for your firearms ownership well then you need to remain an active member of a club.
Current adult annual membership of SSAA NSW is $90 a year. Range fees if required to maintain your membership will vary depending on location.

Welcome to the forum, and please tell us more about yourself.

Hey danandria thanks for the reply as mentioned if i have a category a,b,h licence what other genuine reasons are valid to keep my firearms if i was to not be part of a gun club paying $500 a year ?

If i join the SSAA lifetime membership is that a genuine reason to keep my licence / firearms and then just need to do the mandatory shoots which i think is 4 target shooting 2 hunting ? and not sure how many pistols

basically im looking for the cheapest long term solution to keep my licence and guns without having to fork out $500 a year

any advice in regards to this would be great

More
11 Mar 2018 07:06 - 11 Mar 2018 07:07 #4 by scruffy bob
scruffy bob replied the topic: Minimum requirements to keep licence and club information
Welcome to the forum.

Different categories of licence have different requirements to keep, and depend on what you have said is your genuine reason for a licence.

My understanding of it is as follows, I more than meet this minimum so if some one here says this is not 100% correct then pay attention to them.

Category A and B can be satisfied, if you have only said hunting is the reason for you licence.

with membership in an approved hunting club

plus

i/ 2 attendances at an approved range, or
ii/ a letter from a land holder allowing you to hunt there, or
iii/ an R licence from the DPI (I still think you may need to prove that you have gone hunting twice a year with this.

Category H licence requires membership to an approved pistol club. End of story for that one, no way around it. Also requires a certain number of club attendances.

Category R needs all sorts of things to qualify for.

The best people to ask about this are the people at the Firearms Registry.

Remember that the information you get from strangers over the internet could very well be worth exactly what you have paid for it.

I work so that I can live, not live so that I can work.
Last Edit: 11 Mar 2018 07:07 by scruffy bob.

More
11 Mar 2018 07:47 #5 by SPRINT-GTO
SPRINT-GTO replied the topic: Minimum requirements to keep licence and club information
It is also possible to belong to a club that is not necessarily close to where you live but has cheap membership.
You could then do your 6 minimum shoots at your local club as a Visitor & then use the cheaper Club as the club you report your 6 shoots too.
This would satisfy minimum requirements.

Faster Horses
Younger Women
Older Whiskey
More Money

SSAA N52

• HERNE
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 Mar 2018 07:51 - 11 Mar 2018 14:01 #6 by HERNE
HERNE replied the topic: Minimum requirements to keep licence and club information
'Scruff' pretty much has it covered above... To my understanding.

He is also correct in telling you to contact the NSW FAR. I have always found the person at the other end of the line accommodating and helpful... But asking a few questions here, you may gather some information from members than may help with your questions or that phone call.

Your question is one that pops up from time to time here and it's usually along the train of thought about keeping personal costs pertaining to the sports involvement down. Unfortunately like with much sport and interest activity participation, there are costs involved. You just need to look at the costs of belonging to a Golf Club or annual fees for local 'Footy' and Soccer club involvement for a season...

One I heard of recently that surprised me, was the summer season fess for an individual to play Futsal... By the time individuals season fees and individual game fees were paid, it amounted to over $400. So you could look at your Pistol club expenses for the year, like a bloke who plays Soccer during the winter season wanting continue his interest by participating in Futsal over summer.

Club, Association, and Party fees. All bolster the existence and longevity of the shooting sports in this country. Support here is just, if not more important than support as it is in it's industry.

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"
Last Edit: 11 Mar 2018 14:01 by HERNE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrCarbine, Johnmorrison

• MrCarbine
  • Away
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
  • Just honouring a great man!
More
11 Mar 2018 10:27 #7 by MrCarbine
MrCarbine replied the topic: Minimum requirements to keep licence and club information
It is strange to me how you have a Category H licence and you don't know your attendance requirements. Such requirements are taught and explained to club members right from the start, during the safety course and are given to you in writing when you receive your licence.

I think you are looking through the wrong end of the scope. That's why things look small.
You should be there for the club. If you don't support your club and the sport generally, then you have no business having a pistol.

Johnmorrison wrote:
If i join the SSAA lifetime membership is that a genuine reason to keep my licence / firearms and then just need to do the mandatory shoots which i think is 4 target shooting 2 hunting ? and not sure how many pistols

basically im looking for the cheapest long term solution to keep my licence and guns without having to fork out $500 a year

any advice in regards to this would be great

The following user(s) said Thank You: LtFrankDrebbin, Nev Cross, scruffy bob

• Johnmorrison
More
11 Mar 2018 18:02 #8 by Johnmorrison
Johnmorrison replied the topic: Minimum requirements to keep licence and club information

HERNE wrote: So you could look at your Pistol club expenses for the year, like a bloke who plays Soccer during the winter season wanting continue his interest by participating in Futsal over summer.

I understand that however there's 1 flaw with that example a soccer player pays $400 and that's the whole year paid for. But when your shooting your buying gear worth anything from $800-5000 for a piece of gear some people have collections of pistols rifles etc that are $20,000 + then constant pricing for ammunition range fees etc it gets quite expensive

So finding the cheapest way to maintain a membership and keep the genuine reasons satisfied i think personally is justified

• HERNE
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
11 Mar 2018 18:32 #9 by HERNE
HERNE replied the topic: Minimum requirements to keep licence and club information
There is no flaw. It's just an example of something with little additional expenditure... I see you didn't mention Golf. :)

I have a friend who likes to fly and another who races motorcycles. At the end of the day they do what they can to get, out of it what they love...

By all means seek to lower your expenses... You may just find like with my two friends mentioned above, it's how much dedicated time and what it is spent in/on that dictates the biggest expense.

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnmorrison

More
11 Mar 2018 18:41 #10 by fishphillott
fishphillott replied the topic: Minimum requirements to keep licence and club information

Johnmorrison wrote:

HERNE wrote: So you could look at your Pistol club expenses for the year, like a bloke who plays Soccer during the winter season wanting continue his interest by participating in Futsal over summer.

I understand that however there's 1 flaw with that example a soccer player pays $400 and that's the whole year paid for. But when your shooting your buying gear worth anything from $800-5000 for a piece of gear some people have collections of pistols rifles etc that are $20,000 + then constant pricing for ammunition range fees etc it gets quite expensive

So finding the cheapest way to maintain a membership and keep the genuine reasons satisfied i think personally is justified

If you want to cut costs, drop the pistol licence, change your a&b to hunting only and find a landowner who is willing to give you permission to hunt
After you have done that sell all your firearms and take up knitting

Shooting is an expensive hobby it's just the way it is, there is no way around the on going costs

I personally brought a big chunk of Queensland for a few hundred grand and if you include infrastructure improvements along with plant and equipment I would be close to a million in the hole but at least I don't have to join a club or pay range fees

Sent via smoke signals and carrier pigeons pony express and mail plane

You know that moment when the steak is on the grill and your mouth waters in anticipation? Vegans feel the same after mowing the lawn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dunmovin, Spurious, Johnmorrison

More
12 Mar 2018 13:06 #11 by TK
TK replied the topic: Minimum requirements to keep licence and club information
Try the Shooters Union Australia for membership.
Then pay range fees to Sporting shooters if they operate the range.

Moderators: adamjp
Time to create page: 0.281 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login