× Post Your Firearm Legal Questions Here

Appearance Laws

More
07 Jan 2018 12:47 #161 by Mikeb
Mikeb replied the topic: Appearance Laws
So this was in the DT today:

www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/nsw-g...d7afa6b0df7a6e4ea752

In case you get paywalled:

Staff in the NSW Police Minister’s office have approached police about easing firearms laws which would allow guns to look like high-powered, military-grade weapons.

Gun ownership advocates argue the laws governing the appearance of firearms are pointless because they focus on how a gun looks and not its destructive ability.

But any potential softening of the laws has prompted concern from within NSW Police Force ranks, who fear the chaos a look-a-like military-style gun could cause in the wrong hands.

Gun ownership advocates argue the laws governing the appearance of firearms are pointless.

The Sunday Telegraph has learned staff at Police Minister Troy Grant’s office sought advice from various agencies in the police about changing the gun appearance gun laws which have been criticised by gun owners, firearms dealers, and the Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party.

The Firearms Act prohibits people owning firearms that “substantially duplicate” the appearance of high-powered automatic weapons like machine guns and self-loading riles used by the military.

Shooters and gun dealers say the laws mean merely changing a stock on a registered gun can suddenly make it illegal.

Firearms manufacturer Michael Burrough said he has faced problems from the NSW Firearms Registry, which is part of the NSW Police Force, over the gun stocks his business produces.

His “tactical stocks” are black and aluminium, rather than the traditional wooden-type.

When attached to a rifle, the registry believes it falls foul of the appearance laws because it duplicates a military-style firearm, even though the gun’s firing speed is unchanged, he said.

Trying to steer clear of the concerns over weapons with a military appearance

Mr Burrough said a rifle coloured black which had been fitted with a custom stock and chassis — the body of the rifle — had been rejected by the registry. He then painted the gun red, white and blue, asking if it still appeared like a military weapon, but said it was again prohibited.

Mr Burrough, whose business is within Nationals MP Mr Grant’s electorate in central west NSW, said he’s been forced to restrict its trade in NSW because of what he calls the ambiguity around the laws.

“The registry over the past 24 months has decided to expand that definition and say if that firearm is something that looks similar (to a military weapon), we are going to prohibit it,” he said.

A request for a guide about what exactly tips a legal firearm over the appearance threshold was knocked back, Mr Burrough said.

Some senior police are unapologetic, claiming a weapon pimped to look like a high-powered assault rifle still appeared so similar to the real thing they couldn’t be told apart to the untrained eye or from a distance.

Shooters, Fishers and Farmers Party MLC Robert Borsak, whose party has become a threat in some Nationals seats, is highly critical of the laws.

“Police will always have an argument to restrict anyone holding a firearm at all and they think our society will be safer if that happens,” he said.

“A rational move would be to change the law and do away with the arbitrary judgment by parts of the police force.”

Michael Whybrew, of the Australian Paintball Industry Association, said there was a mindset in government that a firearm was more dangerous on its looks than its function.

“A lot of our appearance laws can be subject to personal opinions,” he said.

Sources confirmed the Police Minister’s office had tested the waters about easing the legislation, but Police Minister Troy Grant had ruled out any changes.

“There are no plans to make further changes to firearms laws,” a spokesman said.

So have any of the DTA owners actually been contacted by registry yet?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2018 13:15 #162 by Jason Lefty
Jason Lefty replied the topic: Appearance Laws
Trying to find out myself. I own a DT and still haven't heard shit

Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

More
07 Jan 2018 13:32 - 07 Jan 2018 13:37 #163 by HERNE
HERNE replied the topic: Appearance Laws

Jason Lefty wrote: Trying to find out myself. I own a DT and still haven't heard shit

Well 'Lefty' I reckon there must come a point where you should leave well and good alone...

It's funny how there has been more humdrum tossed up in the media, on social media and from a couple of gun bashing poliies spending hot air on the tax payers dime, than the Registries or Police. You may have noticed that there is a certain range mindset that jumps in and runs off here-say rather than backing the shooter to the extent of the current laws too.

My personal belief is this whole debacle came from a knee jerk reaction by someone, somewhere and seems to be settling down as commonsense and knowledge is coming to light.

How'd you blokes go getting together with some possible legal representation if it gets that FAR?

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"
Last Edit: 07 Jan 2018 13:37 by HERNE.

More
07 Jan 2018 13:48 #164 by magoo
magoo replied the topic: Appearance Laws
I thought the current owners were allowed to keep them.

Isn't that how it went ?

More
07 Jan 2018 14:17 - 07 Jan 2018 14:18 #165 by HERNE

magoo wrote: I thought the current owners were allowed to keep them.

Isn't that how it went ?

Don't really know 'Magoo'? Big thread, lots of talk... Then everything went cold.

"If we meet offline and you look nothing like your Pics...You are buying me drinks until you do!"
Last Edit: 07 Jan 2018 14:18 by HERNE.

More
07 Jan 2018 14:28 - 07 Jan 2018 19:52 #166 by magoo
magoo replied the topic: Appearance Laws
Was lucky enough to have a go with one when offered as I would have regreted it if I didn't.

When I asked how the situation was going he replied the gran dad thing was in force for current owners.
Just no one else can buy them by the looks.
Last Edit: 07 Jan 2018 19:52 by magoo.

More
07 Jan 2018 14:44 #167 by HERNE
Lucky them... Could have been worse.

Obviously a keeper then. :)

More
07 Jan 2018 14:47 #168 by Jason Lefty
Jason Lefty replied the topic: Appearance Laws
Yeah I don't think I'll get rid of mine for anything now. What really sucks is that I can't pass it on to my son in the future

Love your country, love your family, love your sport.

More
07 Jan 2018 15:11 - 09 Jan 2018 07:30 #169 by HERNE

Jason Lefty wrote: Yeah I don't think I'll get rid of mine for anything now. What really sucks is that I can't pass it on to my son in the future

Go give it some 'Lefty'... Work it hard and enjoy getting your moneys worth out of it.

You truly are now a member of Team Elite.

If I see one on a bench somewhere. I will stop and say g'day... It might just be you.;)

Last Edit: 09 Jan 2018 07:30 by HERNE.

Moderators: adamjp
Time to create page: 0.314 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login