× Ask a question

Half Muzzle Brakes

• NoFerals
  • NoFerals's Avatar Topic Author
More
15 Feb 2018 17:11 - 15 Feb 2018 17:15 #1 by NoFerals
NoFerals created the topic: Half Muzzle Brakes
Is there such a thing and do they work and how well ?.

I have seen one that was supposed to stop muzzle jump
The problem rifle I have is a 243 in light weight stainess barrel and while it shoots accurately enough holding it down is another thing altogether.
Stuck it in Weeks heavy stock and some weight added and its good but far to heavy for a ute rifle.

The Idea behind the query is to make a simple one ( or more ) slotted port brake say facing up and forward at around 45 degrees to keep the thing from jumping all over the shop.
The extra noise isn`t a real problem .
How much recoil reduction ?.
The recoil itself is not a problem its the way the thing jumps pretty much up wards that is.
Could It could then be used in its lighter original stock without being so lively and uncontrollable.
I like to have a rifle that shoots precision with a light hold and concentrate on the sighting with out the other friskiness of this thing.

Does the idea work -- been tried-- what results -- what forward angle to have it slotted -- size of the slot lateral (dim) -- close to the original barrel crown etc how far through the brake in relation to the bore before its too deep or not enough..

Thanks In Advance

My Job Interview:
Human Resources Manager: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Old Man : "Honesty!"
Human Resources Manager: "I don't think honesty is a weakness."
Old Man : "I don't give a f@#! what you think.".

Last Edit: 15 Feb 2018 17:15 by NoFerals.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2018 19:18 - 15 Feb 2018 19:26 #2 by grevo
grevo replied the topic: Half Muzzle Brakes
i use to have a 3 baffle muzzle brake that had 3 ports on the top and solid base on a 300RUM that had next to no muzzle lift and a mate has a 338 win mag that he had magna ported helped the recoil and the muzzle rise but the accuracy went out the window.
hopes that of some help

the one i had was a Holland’s Quick Discharge™ Muzzle Brake
Last Edit: 15 Feb 2018 19:26 by grevo.

More
15 Feb 2018 20:34 #3 by scruffy bob
scruffy bob replied the topic: Half Muzzle Brakes
What do you mean by "the slot facing forward"?

My take is that the slot facing forward would increase, not decrease, felt recoil.

I work so that I can live, not live so that I can work.

More
15 Feb 2018 21:24 #4 by 17Hornet
17Hornet replied the topic: Half Muzzle Brakes
I have never heard of a half muzzle break. Any images ??

Why not just use a regular 'full' muzzle break that caters for recoil muzzle jump ?
You would still have to thread the barrel for the 'half' break anyway.

The TRUTH is out there,
the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny

• Bramborak
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
  • Captain Risky
More
15 Feb 2018 21:29 #5 by Bramborak
Bramborak replied the topic: Half Muzzle Brakes
Hey No Ferals this reminds me of an old rifle of mine that I think was fairly underrated haha and not much liked by most it was one of those Remington VTRs with upwards and forward facing ports slotted in the barrel ugly as it was it was a tac driver and compared to my other 308 it felt a lot more controlled and didn't jump around I think it does make a difference

"There is no certainty only opportunity"
"Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it"

• danandria
  • just trying to be funny
More
15 Feb 2018 21:41 #6 by danandria
danandria replied the topic: Half Muzzle Brakes
Me too, I mean never heard of a half brake, I guess it would be like a normal brake but not work properly?

I shot with a mate once who had bought a 300winmag he said it jumped like a bitch until he had it properly bedded, I shot it after the job and have to say it was one smooth outfit that held point after each shot.

I guess you are hand loading maybe theres a slightly lighter node that wont jump around so much?

• MrCarbine
  • Away
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
  • Just honouring a great man!
More
15 Feb 2018 21:57 #7 by MrCarbine
MrCarbine replied the topic: Half Muzzle Brakes
I believe he means a "brake" that only has ports on top.
If you shooting from the prone they make a lot of sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NoFerals, 17Hornet

• NoFerals
More
15 Feb 2018 22:09 - 15 Feb 2018 22:21 #8 by NoFerals
NoFerals replied the topic: Half Muzzle Brakes
Ok ?, So it looks like it might have been some ones idea but the results I never saw or heard about.

The gadget might have even been for a pistola dunno on that.
Take a solid piece of round bar --- bored out to go over the barrel or threaded I dont recal.
Just around the slot area step it down to bore size + a few thou or so inside the milled bar
Then imagine a slot in the top half as though it was done on a drop saw but this was milled half way through or thereabouts
Slot probably the diameter of the bore or a tad more and perfectly cut at 90 degrees angle to the bore.

I did know the bloke who made it and he was a pretty slick engineer in his time but RIP now.
It was said it was to prevent muzzle rise and that`s what I want to get rid of.

The bedding on this job is spot on in my view ... I do my own in a devcon style two pot metal.
Tighten it down and with the rifle vertical in solid vice on a metal bench I can tighten front action fist lightly and then rear in sequence till I hit the torque I require ..around 50 inch pounds front and 40/45 rear ...use a fat wrench.
I also put a dial indicator on the barrel just in front of the reinforce and again on the tang.
Zero movement on either end and that barrel resonates like a tuning fork.. so I don`t worry on the bedding.
Weeks stocks are heavy and has timber as hard as the hobbs of hell so its no plastic stock that`s doing this.
Nice straight line stock too came of an Omark that died.
The bore line is just low enough to see through the bore over the cheeck rise.
Sporter barrel is very light like a piece of fencing wire and its a five shot and stop shooter as it gets too hot to quick.
Thee first cold bore shots are always good but the dam jump around is constant.

May be a fullbrake would do it but the recoil itself isnt much problem its just the jump around bit.
It came in some cammo fantastic plastic and that was crap.
Then it got a sporter wood leftover stock of some description and that`s crap but improves with some weight up front.

got me stuffed this thing but if it does not behave it will go in the bin ...don`t care how nearly new it is I know that for fact as well.

@ Mr Carbine : I shoot off a front rest most times or anything solid where I can in the bush.
Y` Might be onto some thing as one time with the old fantastic plastic and shooting off a rest the thing was shooting shotgun until I got the tom tits with it and just shot off the back of a fee hand on the rest and then it shoots but ya still gotta hand onto the dam thing to keep it down.

My Job Interview:

Last Edit: 15 Feb 2018 22:21 by NoFerals.

More
15 Feb 2018 22:56 #9 by 22F
22F replied the topic: Half Muzzle Brakes
Just remember when it comes to the design of such things like muzzle brakes and compensators that there’s a small thing called fluid dynamics.

Gases moving behave like a fluid flowing through the brake.
This means how you cut those baffles on the brake is important to direct the flow of gases to best affect, to use that movement to counteract recoil rather than add to it.

Forward!
Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NoFerals

More
15 Feb 2018 23:11 #10 by grevo
is this more like what your after? yes i know it a pistol but the idea would be the same.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

• NoFerals
More
15 Feb 2018 23:12 - 15 Feb 2018 23:14 #11 by NoFerals

22F wrote: Just remember when it comes to the design of such things like muzzle brakes and compensators that there’s a small thing called fluid dynamics.

Gases moving behave like a fluid flowing through the brake.
This means how you cut those baffles on the brake is important to direct the flow of gases to best affect, to use that movement to counteract recoil rather than add to it.

Yes TNX I would never attempt it and I do understand the principles of the dynamics of similar stuff like exhaust and extractor design with collapsing shock waves returning and arriving at just the right frequency and place to be effective.
Hence the question :).
There`s another easier option like adding a tuning boss or a commercial brake but FWIW if the heavy stock and extra weigh on it now does not calm it down I will just get a HB Varmint job and bugger the thing ..... can`t win em all.

My Job Interview:

Last Edit: 15 Feb 2018 23:14 by NoFerals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 22F

• NoFerals
More
15 Feb 2018 23:16 #12 by NoFerals

grevo wrote: is this more like what your after? yes i know it a pistol but the idea would be the same.

This image is hidden for guests.

Similar but only one slot ...other wise yes.. may be it was designed for a hand gun ...dunno

My Job Interview:

More
15 Feb 2018 23:21 #13 by grevo
well if you can find a good machinist they could make one for you just need to make sure it is indexed right

More
16 Feb 2018 01:03 #14 by MSR
MSR replied the topic: Half Muzzle Brakes
You’d be looking for something like a Cutts Compensator, most famous for the Thompson Gun but also popular in modern shotguns.

"Have more than you show
Talk less than you know"

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: NoFerals

Moderators: adamjp
Time to create page: 0.383 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login