× Are you build/making rifle stocks/chassis

hogue stock mods

More
23 Oct 2017 21:52 #21 by Mini Hulk
Mini Hulk replied the topic: hogue stock mods
So I was sitting down repairing a tent pole on the big family tent, replacing one of the sections that had split (bear with me here). To replace the section, I bought one of these: 11mm Tent Pole Repair Kit .

It comes with 4x 11mm fibreglass tent poles each 650mm long. I only needed one of the four in the packet, so now I have 3x reasonably stiff & light fibreglass poles left over. I was wondering if I could use them to reinforce the fore-end of a Hogue stock combined with some epoxy or something like this: MatchGrade Synthetic Stock Stabilizer Kit

I've read about people using old arrow shafts, do you reckon this would work as extra stiffness if I cut a couple of poles to length & roughed them up to help them bond with the stabiliser? Is it even worth the effort?

Pro Tip: Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Send-it
  • Send-it's Avatar Topic Author
More
23 Oct 2017 21:57 #22 by Send-it
Send-it replied the topic: hogue stock mods
Hulk,
It's certainly worth trying.
i can't see any disadvantage anyway.

• Chazwood
  • Away
More
24 Oct 2017 00:07 #23 by Chazwood
Chazwood replied the topic: hogue stock mods
Can't see why it won't work, I'd give it a go.

More
24 Oct 2017 09:43 #24 by NoFerals
NoFerals replied the topic: hogue stock mods
The problem with plastic stocks is not only the forend which does stiffen up with various methods of bog or shafts.
The other problem you cant fix is those stocks flex in the wrist and around the mag well and nothing will stop that.

Best thing is stock in a better type wood stock or a good fire and bin the things.

I fit a few rifles I have or have had in (2nd hand)Weeks target stocks and then shoot ---B).
The rifles can be made to look ok if your good at wood work but they will be heavy and that`s cool with me as I don`t carry any shooter around in the bush or up hills and down dale etc.

Nothing beats a god old fashioned timber stock in my view but I may be wrong .

When one door closes sometimes it's better to put a chair up against it. Just in case the wankers get back in!.
NoFerals --- Born --The original---- "Lucky One"

More
24 Oct 2017 17:16 - 24 Oct 2017 17:17 #25 by Aushunter
Aushunter replied the topic: hogue stock mods

Mini Hulk wrote: So I was sitting down repairing a tent pole on the big family tent, replacing one of the sections that had split (bear with me here). To replace the section, I bought one of these: 11mm Tent Pole Repair Kit .

It comes with 4x 11mm fibreglass tent poles each 650mm long. I only needed one of the four in the packet, so now I have 3x reasonably stiff & light fibreglass poles left over. I was wondering if I could use them to reinforce the fore-end of a Hogue stock combined with some epoxy or something like this: MatchGrade Synthetic Stock Stabilizer Kit

I've read about people using old arrow shafts, do you reckon this would work as extra stiffness if I cut a couple of poles to length & roughed them up to help them bond with the stabiliser? Is it even worth the effort?

I think its worth a shot mini, if it doesn't work then there are plenty of pretty cheap & betrer stock options out there for the hogue, something alloy bedded would be my preference.
My cheap Rem 700sps is a bi t similar to the hogue I think where its able to be twisted in the hand is pulled to hard.

I glass bedded the action which helped to free float the barrel but on occasions I noticed the forend touch the barrel through warping so I just sanded out the channel of the stock a bit to give more clearance.

The rifle shoots great & not overly concerned if i have to bin the stock for something better.
Last Edit: 24 Oct 2017 17:17 by Aushunter.

More
24 Oct 2017 18:25 #26 by NoFerals
NoFerals replied the topic: hogue stock mods
if you need to get a bit of reassurance that your bog job will stick and not come loose then.
After you have used a cleaning method.
Drill small holes into the fore end at a bit of an angle facing outwards in each section of the frame work-- a couple of small screws in each compartment of the frame will do it.
Do NOT drill right through and bugger it altogether.
Once the screws are in place build the bog around each one -- it will become a solid piece with screwed anchors embedded in each section and never come out again no matter what happens.
Ok for off hand shooting but off a front rest ???? depends on the caliber and the weight of the barrel I suppose.

When one door closes sometimes it's better to put a chair up against it. Just in case the wankers get back in!.
NoFerals --- Born --The original---- "Lucky One"
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Hydra, Aushunter

More
24 Oct 2017 18:44 - 24 Oct 2017 18:45 #27 by Aushunter
Aushunter replied the topic: hogue stock mods

NoFerals wrote: if you need to get a bit of reassurance that your bog job will stick and not come loose then.
After you have used a cleaning method.
Drill small holes into the fore end at a bit of an angle facing outwards in each section of the frame work-- a couple of small screws in each compartment of the frame will do it.
Do NOT drill right through and bugger it altogether.
Once the screws are in place build the bog around each one -- it will become a solid piece with screwed anchors embedded in each section and never come out again no matter what happens.
Ok for off hand shooting but off a front rest ???? depends on the caliber and the weight of the barrel I suppose.

All good points NF!

Bonding agents need something to adhere to & usually synthetics are not a good medium.

The more a surface is scuffed up or indentations made the better the result.

Keeping the contact surface super clean is also a must.
Last Edit: 24 Oct 2017 18:45 by Aushunter.

Moderators: adamjp
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login