Working with polymer stocks

• Phil-Istine
  • Phil-Istine's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
19 Aug 2017 20:55 #1 by Phil-Istine
Phil-Istine created the topic: Working with polymer stocks
Any pitfalls with screwing into a hard polymer stock. I'm looking at attaching a picatinny rail to the bottom of my Howa mini action but obviously don't want to stuff up the stock. Should I drill and tap a hole or use self tapping screws into a pilot hole?

It will be for adding an angled fore grip whose main function will be to protecting the shitty mag release to hopefully stop me accidentally dropping the mag when carrying in the field.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Sporting Firearms
  • Site Sponsor
  • Site Sponsor
  • Git 'r dun!
More
20 Aug 2017 00:59 #2 by Sporting Firearms
Sporting Firearms replied the topic: Working with polymer stocks
I gave an answer then deleted it because what its for more count in the advice.

Is it important to line it to the bore? like it your torch/camera/laser going to be able to be aligned to be on your actual shot?

What is it you want to mount there?

I have seen barrel bridge pic rails I have seen rails attached to swivel stud points I have seen rail on bipods for mounting things etc etc. there maybe other options for you I dont know yet I hope others will have seen things as well that may suit your application if we know what.

Cheers n good luck

Fully licensed importer, distributor of special run firearms and hopefully soon designer

Retail stock runout to get out of that. www.sportingfirearmsaustralia.com.au
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phil-Istine

More
20 Aug 2017 01:08 #3 by MSR
MSR replied the topic: Working with polymer stocks
I got a Blackwood(?) swivel stud adapter pic rail to put on my Howa, to mount the gun cam. They are available at Cabelas.

I also had problems with the mag kit on the Howa - mag too long on the bench, catch too prone to dropping the mag in the field - and I went back to the standard drop-plate.

"Have more than you show
Talk less than you know"

More
20 Aug 2017 08:10 #4 by adamjp
adamjp replied the topic: Working with polymer stocks
I would drill a hole and then use a suitable size nut and bolt setup at either end of the rail with ideally a strip of aluminium between them as a big washer. Use nylock nuts for lasting satisfaction.

Those polymer stocks are not very hard, nor terribly thick and sooner rather than later your rail will get the wobbles unless you really sandwich the stock between the two strips of aluminium.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 22F, Phil-Istine

• Phil-Istine
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
20 Aug 2017 09:40 #5 by Phil-Istine
Phil-Istine replied the topic: Working with polymer stocks
Thanks guys. The rail will be for attaching an angled fore grip like this:

www.ozgunsales.com/listing/42686/howa_15...al_rifle_custom.html

except further back closer to the mag and on a shorter rail i.e. not running the full length of the fore stock. Its main purpose will be to help prevent dropping mags so barrel alignment isn't overly important. It will look a bit weird but I guess it will also give me hand position options when shooting offhand.

In hindsight I should have got a standard Howa with a drop plate, but I "had" to have the mini action with the 10 round mag! I do like it and it's accurate:

but that mag release.....what they were thinking

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: 308mate2

More
21 Aug 2017 00:10 - 21 Aug 2017 00:19 #6 by ob1
ob1 replied the topic: Working with polymer stocks
Would it not be easier to create a small shield for the mag release? Use the screw to secure it and leave enough room to activate the release.
Last Edit: 21 Aug 2017 00:19 by ob1.

• Phil-Istine
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
21 Aug 2017 19:04 #7 by Phil-Istine
I like your thinking OB1, I didn't think of that. But what to use as the shield? It would be easier if I had the skills and equipment fabricate / bodgy something up, it would be exactly that, bodgied up!

The rail / for grip option is within my abilities and as long as I don't stuff up the install, it should look pretty good with the OD green stock (read: I don't mind the tactical look)

More
21 Aug 2017 19:35 - 21 Aug 2017 19:57 #8 by ob1
ob1 replied the topic: Working with polymer stocks
Light alloy U channel (or square tubing with the top cut off) from Bunnings. Lots of sizes available.

Remove an area of the bottom to fit around the release and guard, creating raised 'wings' to protect the release.

Shape the wings with rounded corners, etc and leave a bit of length on the bottom without any wings to provide a hole for the bolt.

It would probably take 10-20 minutes with a hacksaw and file, or dremel. Cheap to practice until you get it how you want it.

Spray it black or other colour to blend with the stock.
Last Edit: 21 Aug 2017 19:57 by ob1.

More
22 Aug 2017 20:48 #9 by Yoshie
Yoshie replied the topic: Working with polymer stocks

• Phil-Istine
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
22 Aug 2017 21:28 #10 by Phil-Istine
I had to google u channel to picture what you were saying! That could work, I'll have check the release and guard to get a better idea of how it would work / look. Stay tuned!

More
22 Aug 2017 22:34 #11 by Mini Hulk
Mini Hulk replied the topic: Working with polymer stocks
Can anyone tell me if the mini actions and the standard short action Howas use the same mag kit?

I only ask cos there is a bloke on Facebook producing drop in (no machining required) bottom metal for the Howa short action that takes the legacy sports plastic mags.

His Facebook site is here with some pics: m.facebook.com/BarrettDatum/posts/1185824604858168

Different mag release that looks like it would be less prone to dropping the mag. I haven't seen one, so don't know how they go.

In the comments, he says $140 posted Australia wide.

Pro Tip: Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%...

More
23 Aug 2017 07:16 #12 by adamjp

Mini Hulk wrote: Can anyone tell me if the mini actions and the standard short action Howas use the same mag kit?

I only ask cos there is a bloke on Facebook producing drop in (no machining required) bottom metal for the Howa short action that takes the legacy sports plastic mags.

His Facebook site is here with some pics: m.facebook.com/BarrettDatum/posts/1185824604858168

Different mag release that looks like it would be less prone to dropping the mag. I haven't seen one, so don't know how they go.

In the comments, he says $140 posted Australia wide.

Same magazine, but very different bottom 'metal' due to the very different action length.

• Phil-Istine
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
23 Aug 2017 07:42 #13 by Phil-Istine
That's definitely an improvement. Would that push up or down to release the mag?

Looks like he's only doing short action followed by long, though I'm sure he'd get to mini action if there was interest

• fishphillott
  • Away
  • Stuck between a rock and a hard place
More
23 Aug 2017 07:49 #14 by fishphillott
fishphillott replied the topic: Working with polymer stocks
Out of curiosity how many times have you had your mag drop out accidentally

Sent via smoke signals and carrier pigeons

• Sporting Firearms
  • Site Sponsor
  • Site Sponsor
  • Git 'r dun!
More
23 Aug 2017 09:29 #15 by Sporting Firearms
Sporting Firearms replied the topic: Working with polymer stocks
Thats surprising because the mags look shorter and I would have thought the same length bottom metal but a different magwell which bears out.

Obviously I assume the guy knows what he's doing and has done it if he's made enough to sell them, I tried to see if he had a working video but instead he has a video on machining them.

Fully licensed importer, distributor of special run firearms and hopefully soon designer

Retail stock runout to get out of that. www.sportingfirearmsaustralia.com.au

• Phil-Istine
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
23 Aug 2017 19:12 #16 by Phil-Istine

fishphillott wrote: Out of curiosity how many times have you had your mag drop out accidentally

A few times at the range while repositioning on the front bag rest, and twice out of the four times I've carried the rifle out bush. Both times while unslinging.

More
23 Aug 2017 19:16 #17 by 308mate2
308mate2 replied the topic: Working with polymer stocks

fishphillott wrote: Out of curiosity how many times have you had your mag drop out accidentally

I've got the same rifle. I was 4 shots into a mob of pigs and sure enough the first time i dropped the magazine it was swine rush hour. I made a fabulous tacticool recovery and finished them off but i was annoyed.

Will watch this space.
The following user(s) said Thank You: adamjp

More
23 Aug 2017 19:26 #18 by adamjp

308mate2 wrote: ...it was swine rush hour. I made a fabulous tacticool recovery and finished them off...

Love your work! B)

• Phil-Istine
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
More
23 Aug 2017 21:02 #19 by Phil-Istine
Yeah that would be my luck, I'll get the opportunity to bag my first fox and in the excitement of the moment, dropped mag!

My plans are a forgone conclusion now, a rail and fore grip are ordered and on the way. I'll be sure to take photos of what I hope will be straight forward install. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

More
24 Aug 2017 12:16 #20 by magoo
magoo replied the topic: Working with polymer stocks
No way I would carry a mini on my back with the mag likely to drop out anywhere at any time.

I would prob lose my 1st deer and an exy mag as well as a day in the forest.

Not a good day at all.

I also don't like the loose way it inserts with little to no positive click to be sure it's in there.
Swayed me away.

Moderators: adamjp
Time to create page: 0.298 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login