× For questions and topics about reloading, dies, presses, projectiles and everything else reloading-related.

30-06 subsonic loads

• Swanny223
  • Swanny223's Avatar Topic Author
More
04 Apr 2018 19:39 #1 by Swanny223
Swanny223 created the topic: 30-06 subsonic loads
Gday all,

I recently purchased some nosler 30 cal 220 gr subsonic pills. They are designed to mushroom between 900-1400 fps. As they were designed for the 300 BO there is no load data for any other calibre. I contacted nosler and their response was:

"Tim,

These bullets are specifically designed for subsonic expansion on game. We won't have any load data for subsonic 30-06 unfortunately, as these were tailored to the 300 Blackout. We will have supersonic 220gr. data that you can use, but expect this bullet to over-expand and act like a very large Varmint bullet at velocities in excess of 1500fps.

Best regards,

Nosler Inc."

The load data for the 300 BO won't work for obvious reason so I was wondering if anyone has attempted subsonic loads in the 30 cal family before? My thoughts would be using trail boss for case capacity reasons and low velocity. I was hoping to stay around the 1000 fps mark.
Here is a link to the pills for those interested.

shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullets/ballistic...-rn-bullet-50ct.html

All advice is welcomed and thanked. Cheers.

Swanny

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Skip
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Consistency is the key to marksmanship
More
04 Apr 2018 20:15 #2 by Skip
Skip replied the topic: 30-06 subsonic loads
The 30-06 will hold about 21 grains of Trailboss, reduce to 70% case volume and start there.

For subsonic you will be reducing loads ( .5 grain to get under the speed of sound. )

You need a fast twist for those 220 pills to work well. I didn’t like them in the blkout. The Nosler 110 grain Varminter did a better job at subsonic in the blkout and the .308.

You will need a chrony or access to one for working down to subsonic loads.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 17Hornet, Swanny223

More
04 Apr 2018 21:16 #3 by 17Hornet
17Hornet replied the topic: 30-06 subsonic loads
And so what is wrong with a 30cal 220grn varmint grenade traveling at 30.06 velocity
when used upon the odd feral animal ??

I would like to see slow motion footage of THAT expansion. :evil:

Skip is on the mark, its ADI's advice for TB starter loads.

The TRUTH is out there,
the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny
The following user(s) said Thank You: 22F, ZG47, Swanny223

• Swanny223
More
05 Apr 2018 20:31 #4 by Swanny223
Swanny223 replied the topic: 30-06 subsonic loads
Thanks guys. I don't have a chrony at this point in time but it is on the wish list.
It's good to know trail boss will be suited for the task. Do you remember what load you used for the 308 Skip? I know its a different cartridge but a rough case capacity % couldn't hurt.

And to answer your question 17 there's absolutely nothing wrong with a 220 gr grenade, that will also be in the pipe line. Cheers.

Swanny

More
05 Apr 2018 21:02 - 05 Apr 2018 21:04 #5 by 17Hornet
Swanny, years ago I had a phone conversation regarding TB loads with ADI boffins.

While TB seems calm and quiet, the method that Skip gave you is the correct way to calculate the powder for the case,
as it applies to any NEW load with TB.

Initially ADI stipulated straight cases only but after some testing and LOTS of inquiries they advised exactly what Skip
advised to work out reduced loads for any given 'bottleneck case' and projectile combo.

Using data from a 308 load could seriously stuff up your day, even with TB, as although it is a LARGE flake powder for
case volume filling, it is a fast burning powder, second fastest in ADI's lists.

Best to fill a case to the base of a seated projectile, weigh the powder, work out 70%, and try your first loads from there.
Subsonic shots without a Chrony will feel very soft recoil or even none, and sound levels like a .22lr standard or low velocity.
Maybe your Club has one or one of your shooting mates?

Reference ADI FAQ webpage
www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders/faq.asp

The TRUTH is out there,

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 05 Apr 2018 21:04 by 17Hornet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Swanny223

• Swanny223
More
06 Apr 2018 16:50 #6 by Swanny223
Swanny223 replied the topic: 30-06 subsonic loads
Thanks 17. I wasn't going to use the 308 data as I do value my well being, I was just curious about the amount needed for a true subsonic from someone with a chrony. I won't be rushing into this one, I'll definitely be doing my homework. I'll hopefully get to the range soon and enquire about a chrony. At the end of the day going by sound and feel like you said is a good enough indication of what's going on. Thanks for the advice mate, much appreciated.

Swanny

More
06 Apr 2018 17:09 #7 by 17Hornet
If you have an empty case or two to spare, press in a projectile to your preferred seating depth, as per normal, then mark the front end with a texta.
You could colour the whole thing if you want :P
Then extract the projectile and measure the uncoloured length, measure that down the side of a case from the neck, and actually cut off the top part.
Now you have a 'powder scoop' of sorts where it is very easy to see and fill without accidentally compressing the TB powder.

Fill it, then empty into scales and weigh, then subtract 30% and Bobs your Uncle to start.
You may have to go lower as Skip suggests, or you can go higher too. Its nice to be subsonic reliably but still have the best velocity.

Lighter loads if kids are shooting a 30.06, I would suggest is a big bonus.

There are plenty of references on the net, just a light search, read on and you will get there, best of.

The TRUTH is out there,
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZG47

• spaceball
  • Away
More
07 Apr 2018 08:25 #8 by spaceball
spaceball replied the topic: 30-06 subsonic loads
There is a wealth of info in this thread.

Light 30-06 loads

Also have a good read of post #34. If you are going to go for very light loads and light projectiles then keeping a batch of cases with drilled primer holes might be the go. Lapua also mark their subsonic load cases with a blue ring in the extra grove as they enlarge the primer flash hole too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZG47, Swanny223

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login