× All things pistols, revolvers and other handguns.

red dots

More
13 Jan 2018 18:06 #1 by Daffy
Daffy created the topic: red dots
Pistols and Revolvers fitted with Red Dot sights.
Who is using what and are they effective.
Regards Daffy.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2018 21:44 #2 by OldPaj
OldPaj replied the topic: red dots
There several of the older blokes in my club who are using various versions of Red Dot sight as they are far cheaper than getting quality shooting glasses made to suit "old bloke" eyesight. As I am not exactly a young bloke, I have considered this and having used a friends red dots, and found that it didn't really help, I suspect that it is a case of practice is required to really get it right. But then again that is the same with iron sights as well

More
13 Jan 2018 22:29 #3 by Top Gun
Top Gun replied the topic: red dots
Cant go wrong with Aimpoint

More
14 Jan 2018 10:38 #4 by 17Hornet
17Hornet replied the topic: red dots
Curious if any readers have any older red dots still in use ?

When they first came out I purchased an original Aimpoint, it is still going strong but will be put onto a rimfire again soon.
All the magnifiers and shades with it too.

It has spent a lot of its life on a 6" 686 .357mag for Action Pistol, then on a rimfire, then a rimfire rifle, the last 10-15 years in a drawer.
I checked it about 6 months ago, and it just works.
Considering they came out about 40 years ago you have to be happy with that.

I also have a newer Eotech, which strangely gave me some visual issues in the sight when I started with it, the tech is different with this device
and I found out that as my eyesight has changed, I need to wear glasses to use it, never had that with the Aimpoints of old
and some later models of which I have a few, Propoint too.

So I do like them, think they can target faster and do have their place as a decent sight, but as tech changes it appears that maybe good vision
may be needed to use some of them at their best. The Eotech is a different tool for sure.

So get a good look thru different brands and models before you buy, preferably on a pistol if that is your primary use.
I think the range is the best place for that, not the gunshop, I think you need the distance and a target background, and some movement.

I also think that accessory Iron Sights have improved a lot too, but jeez they can be expensive for what they are.

I am looking to build a race gun .22 for Steel Challenge, that will likely have a Leupold red dot on it, although I do alright with std open sights currently,
.22 are such fun at Steel, I waste so much ammo :lol: just practicing 'off hand'.

The TRUTH is out there,
the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny

• fishphillott
  • Stuck between a rock and a hard place
More
14 Jan 2018 16:11 #5 by fishphillott
fishphillott replied the topic: red dots
I know this isn't applicable in the Australian Handgun world but I am liking red dots after putting one on my 350Myra

you can keep one eye on your next "victim" while dropping the one you are aiming at

like all things shooting related what works for someone won't necessarily work for another

Sent via smoke signals and carrier pigeons

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: MrCarbine, 22F, 17Hornet

• mal0310
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
  • How much fun is this! :-)
More
15 Jan 2018 10:49 #6 by mal0310
mal0310 replied the topic: red dots
The C-More sight seems to be the 'go to" for the shooters in Open Division of IPSC and Steel Challenge. I've not heard any complaints about their performance, but I can't speak from personal experience as I shoot in Classic Division. I actually bought one of the old style Tasco's with variable size dot about three years back, but have not bothered to mount it on a gun as yet. (I'm still having too much fun with metallic sights! ;) )

We have some older shooters in our club, in their 70's & 80's (I'm no spring chicken myself....lol), who claim that having a red dot sight has extended their shooting by many years. These gents are actually very competitive still.

SSAA V06

More
15 Jan 2018 22:02 #7 by Sanus
Sanus replied the topic: red dots
I shoot open and use a Cmore for years.

Also put on on the 44mag lever gun for a while but went back to a scope with drops for longer range shooting.

But on an open gun the Cmore is one of the best.

The new trend is the small Cmore red dots for open. They sit lower on the gun and closer to the center of the bore.

More
16 Jan 2018 19:36 #8 by Frank54
Frank54 replied the topic: red dots
A lot of Pistol shooters at my Club get Red Dots especially as they get older.
I put Williams Firesights on my Ruger MK4 that helped but still did not give me the results I wanted.
I have just bought a a Vortex Venom that I haven't had chance to use yet but it looks like it may be a good buy.

Frank

More
26 Jan 2018 18:44 #9 by gong_guy
gong_guy replied the topic: red dots
aimpoint,the best brand!!!!

More
26 Jan 2018 18:56 #10 by gong_guy

i use a trd25 for met sil does a great job !!!!

More
26 Jan 2018 18:58 - 26 Jan 2018 22:37 #11 by gong_guy
trd25

Last Edit: 26 Jan 2018 22:37 by 17Hornet.

More
02 Feb 2018 09:31 #12 by Moo Moo
Moo Moo replied the topic: red dots
As IPSC has now introduced Carry Optics division for Production Guns, I'm keen to get a Red Dot when Glock comes out with the Gen 5 MOS. It is only a matter of time before this is released and comes to Australia in a 17A packaged.

I think I'd like to try a Leupold Delta Point Pro on it. Maybe something in the 6-7 MOA size.

I was also looking at getting a rail on my recently acquired S&W Model 41 to have a go at shooting rimfire Steel Challenge.

More
02 Feb 2018 14:35 - 02 Feb 2018 14:36 #13 by 22F
22F replied the topic: red dots
I was able to play with a red dot equipped CZ P10 and Gen5 Glock 19 last week at SHOT.

I was impressed.
Normally, after breaking the shot, I’m hunting to get iron sights back in alignment for a follow-up (and yes, I have been taught correct methodology for pistol shooting by a mate who’s a police pistol instructor).

I found with a red dot I could get a useable sight picture so much faster.

Since I shoot a red dot on my rifles, it was really nice to have the same sight picture on a pistol.

Forward!
Where we are, where we belong, where we should be.
Last Edit: 02 Feb 2018 14:36 by 22F.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aushunter

• MrCarbine
  • Forum Member
  • Forum Member
  • Just honouring a great man!
More
02 Feb 2018 19:40 - 03 Feb 2018 10:56 #14 by MrCarbine
MrCarbine replied the topic: red dots
Yes for close range they are the best. So long as you have the dot on target (and you do your part) you will hit your target. I can't get use to them on pistols however as I am old fashion but they are much better than open sights or scopes for close range work.

22F wrote: I was able to play with a red dot equipped CZ P10 and Gen5 Glock 19 last week at SHOT.

I was impressed.
Normally, after breaking the shot, I’m hunting to get iron sights back in alignment for a follow-up (and yes, I have been taught correct methodology for pistol shooting by a mate who’s a police pistol instructor).

I found with a red dot I could get a useable sight picture so much faster.

Since I shoot a red dot on my rifles, it was really nice to have the same sight picture on a pistol.

Last Edit: 03 Feb 2018 10:56 by MrCarbine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 22F

More
02 Feb 2018 20:45 #15 by 17Hornet
17Hornet replied the topic: red dots

Moo Moo wrote: As IPSC has now introduced Carry Optics division for Production Guns, I'm keen to get a Red Dot when Glock comes out with the Gen 5 MOS. It is only a matter of time before this is released and comes to Australia in a 17A packaged.

I think I'd like to try a Leupold Delta Point Pro on it. Maybe something in the 6-7 MOA size.

I was also looking at getting a rail on my recently acquired S&W Model 41 to have a go at shooting rimfire Steel Challenge.

Searched this.. very interesting to me too.

The TRUTH is out there,
the Aliens think its a great joke on us.
We still believe in Santa, but eat the Easter Bunny

Time to create page: 0.359 seconds

magnum-voucher-sitewide

Login